Music conductor Zubin Mehta honored with star on Hollywood Walk of FameMarch 2nd, 2011 - 1:30 pm ICT by ANI
Los Angeles, March.2 (ANI): Internationally acclaimed Indian origin music conductor Zubin Mehta has been honored with a star on the famous Hollywood Walk of Fame, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of his musical career.
Mehta received the 2434th star at a ceremony near the north- east corner of Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street and was joined by actor Kirk Douglas who said that Mehta had entertained millions of people all over the world.
Members of the Los Angeles, Israel and Vienna Philharmonics performed during the ceremony on Tuesday in tribute to him.
“I have to say, what a wonderful surprise to have three orchestras I have worked with perform for all of us today. I am grateful to this country which has taken care of me for so many years,” Mehta said.
Mehta was born on April 29, 1936, in Mumbai and his father Mehli was the founding conductor of the Bombay Symphony Orchestra.
He is best remembered in California for his stint as the music director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic from 1962-1978.
He was the music director of the Montreal Symphony Orchestra from 1961- 67 and held the same post with the New York Philharmonic from 1978-1991, longer than anyone else has ever held the position.
Mehta was named music adviser to the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra in 1969, its music director in 1977 and as its music director for life in 1981 and has conducted more than 3,000 concerts with his ensemble, including tours spanning five continents. (ANI)
- Zubin Mehta keen to perform in Jammu and Kashmir - Jul 23, 2012
- Tagore in symphony with Bach and Beethoven - in Germany - Apr 17, 2012
- Zubin Mehta fans, get set for some Mumbai magic - Jul 18, 2008
- 60 Minutes: Gustavo Dudamel Has A Musical Mission - May 17, 2010
- Tagore songs at Munich music fest - Apr 10, 2012
- Austria honours Venezuelan composer - Aug 02, 2011
- Symphony Orchestra Of India Debuts In The International Market - Jun 14, 2010
- 53rd Annual Grammy Awards Winners List - Feb 14, 2011
- Mr.Bean enthrals fans with English humour - Jul 28, 2012
- Italian music conductor Riccardo Muti wins $1m Birgit Nilsson Prize - Mar 17, 2011
- Pt. Ravi Shankar Presents His First Western Symphony In London - Jul 03, 2010
- Royal Philharmonic Orchestra helps science by playing to plants - Mar 24, 2011
- Gunman opens fire in Hollywood before being killed by police - Dec 10, 2011
- Beyonce top winner at Grammy's with six awards (Roundup) - Feb 01, 2010
- 'The Muppets' recieves star on Hollywood Walk of Fame - Mar 22, 2012
Tags: 50th anniversary, conductor zubin, five continents, hollywood boulevard, hollywood walk of fame, including tours, indian origin, israel philharmonic orchestra, kirk douglas, los angeles philharmonic, montreal symphony orchestra, music adviser, music conductor, music director, musical career, new york philharmonic, vine street, walk of fame, world members, zubin mehta