Mushrooms may help prevent obesityAugust 16th, 2008 - 1:01 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Aug 16 (ANI): Eating mushrooms in large quantities can help prevent or treat obesity, says a new study.
According to the study, which was led by Dr. Cheskin, suggests that increasing intake of low-energy density foods, specifically mushrooms, in place of high-energy-density foods, like lean ground beef, is a strategy for preventing or treating obesity.
To reach the conclusions, study participants were randomly chosen to receive either beef or mushroom lunch entrees over four days lasagna, napoleon, sloppy Joe and chili.
Subjects then switched entrees to consume the other ingredient (mushroom or beef) the following week.1 Energy (calorie) intakes were significantly higher during meat meals than mushroom meals, a difference that averaged 420 more calories and 30 more fat grams per day over the four-day test period.
Subjects” ratings for palatability (meal appeal), appetite, satiation (after meal fullness) and satiety (general fullness) did not differ between groups.
“The most intriguing finding was that subjects seemed to accept mushrooms as a palatable and suitable culinary substitute for meat,” said Dr. Cheskin.
“They didn”t compensate for the lower calorie mushroom meal by eating more food later in the day, the researcher added. (ANI)
- 'Mushrooms can prevent obesity' - Aug 16, 2008
- Eat wheat flour and almonds to 'satisfy hunger pains' - Apr 24, 2011
- Pleasure eating may fuel obesity - May 03, 2012
- High-protein diet reduces hunger in obese - Jul 11, 2011
- How chefs can help combat obesity by creating reduced-calorie meals - Nov 06, 2010
- Mind determines quantity of food to consume: Study - May 27, 2011
- Thanksgiving Options For Those Who Prefer Vegetarian Food - Nov 24, 2010
- Women on dieting cycles seldom lose weight - May 23, 2011
- Exercise 'makes you feel full' - Aug 25, 2010
- Exercise sensitises nerve cells into feeling full - Aug 25, 2010
- Popping raisins curbs calorie intake in children - Jun 03, 2012
- 3 square meals a day with lean protein help curb hunger for weight loss - Apr 01, 2011
- Addicts cut down on junk food after calorie labelling - Jul 27, 2011
- Lean protein helps dieters resist late night snacks - Apr 01, 2011
- An egg a day keeps unwanted calories at bay - Dec 11, 2011
Tags: calorie intakes, cheskin, energy density, ground beef, high energy, low energy, lunch entrees, meat meals, mushroom, mushrooms, napoleon, obesity, palatability, period subjects, satiation, satiety, sloppy joe, study participants, test period, week 1