‘Muppozhudhum Un Karpanaigal’ - rich visuals, poor content (Tamil Movie Review)February 19th, 2012 - 5:37 pm ICT by IANS
Film: “Muppozhudhum Un Karpanaigal”; Cast: Atharva Murali, Amala Paul, Nasser, Anupama, Jayaprakash and Santhanam; Producer-Dierctor: Elred Kumar; Composer; G.V. Prakash Kumar;
Cinematographer: Sakthi; Editor: Antony C. Ruban; Rating: ** 1/2
Pre-release Elred Kumar’s “Muppozhudhum Un Karpanaigal” (MUK) was marketed as a romantic thriller. Unfortunately it has turned out to be neither romantic nor thrilling.
The movie opens with an unbelievable action sequence before going into the mode of a sweet love story. Beginning is good but the film looses its grip as it moves ahead. There are some twists and unexpected turns but they are not good enough to engage the viewers.
After some ups and downs the film sounds predictable and disappoints.
Ram (Atharva) is an IT engineer in Chennai. He spends his weekends with his girlfriend Charu (Amala) in Bangalore. They share a unique bonding. Now, Lata (Amala), the new CEO of Ram’s company, returns from the US. With her marriage set to happen in a couple of weeks, she meets Ram and gets the shock of her life. She claims that she knows him well, but Ram treats her like a stranger.
Lata is confused. She says it was she who stayed with him in Bangalore without revealing that she was the daughter of the CEO.
She had to depart all of a sudden without informing Ram, but she cannot understand why Ram is unable to recognise her.
An accident to the car carrying Ram and Lata solves the mystery. Physiatrist (Jayaprakash) finds out that Ram is affected by ‘motivational delusion’.
He imagines Charu lives with him in Bangalore while there is no such person in reality.
Lata, who is about to get married soon, wants to help Ram. She starts enquiring about his background. She finds out that he had disturbed past after his mother’s death.
Charu coems as a fresh air in his life and he falls madly in love with her. Her sudden departure makes a deep impact on him and he starts living in an imaginary world with Charu.
Lata feels sorry for him but she cannot do anything about it, as she has to return to the US to get married to the person, whom she is engaged to. But a few twists in the tale force her to change her plans.
MUK, produced and directed by Elrid Kumar, has been shot lavishly in exotic locales abroad. Sadly, Kumar, while focusing on such things, seems to have lost the grip on the script, which lacks logic or coherence.
The director has got many things wrong. The depiction of software professionals and romance track lacks credibility. The events move ahead in a hurried manner towards the climax. The suspense is completely missing. The physiological angle has been handled indifferently.
The lead actors have given their best. Atharva Murali has shown a great improvement in his second film. He scores in romantic and serious sequences.
Amala gets a meaty character and does justice to it. She looks fine and emotes well.
Jayaprakash and Nasser do their jobs well. Santhanam fails to impress. Anupama in a small role is quite effective.
Cinematography by Sakthi is good. G.V.Prakash has given some peppy music besides effective background score.
Overall, MUK is rich in looks poor in content.
- Asivn Raja Is Signing Ventures One After Another! - Jan 24, 2011
- 'Deivathirumagal' - a winner for its emotional appeal (Tamil Movie Review; Rating:***1/2) - Jul 16, 2011
- Shah Rukh visits injured animator Charu in hospital - Mar 29, 2012
- 'Boss Engira Bhaskaran' Music Released - Aug 30, 2010
- Aatanayagan - an emotional drama with commercial ingredients - Mar 19, 2010
- Director Vijay Completes 60% Of His Next Film With Vikram - Jan 31, 2011
- Animator Charu to undergo surgery Thursday - Mar 29, 2012
- Legendary Lata not ready to call it quits - Jun 05, 2011
- Tamil movie hero Murali dies following heart attack - Sep 08, 2010
- Grandson Of Siddalingaiah Debuts In Tamil Flick - Aug 05, 2010
- Shah Rukh prays for 'RA.One' animator Charu Khandal - Mar 28, 2012
- Trendy, romantic 'Love Failure' a treat to watch (Telugu Movie Review) - Feb 19, 2012
- Kollywood actors pay final respect to actor Murali - Sep 09, 2010
- Director Vijay Pronounces That The Competent Actor, Vikram, Will Steal The Show In An Upcoming Film - Jan 31, 2011
- Born to sing: Lata turns 82 (Sep 28 is Lata Mangeshkar's birthday) - Sep 27, 2011
Tags: action sequence, amala, antony, anupama, bangalore, deep impact, delusion, jayaprakash, love story, muk, murali, nasser, poor content, romantic thriller, ruban, sudden departure, unbelievable action, unexpected turns, ups, ups and downs