Munnabhai banned from Lok Sabha ElectionsMarch 31st, 2009 - 10:30 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
It’s sad news to all Munnabhai well-wishers and Samajwadi party leaders that Sanjay Dutt won’t be contesting this year’s Lok Sabha elections from Lucknow.The verdict of Supreme Court was not in favor of Sanjay Dutt.
The Bench headed by Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan said they did not find the case strong enough to put a stay on his conviction. Dutt has been sentenced to six years in jail by a Mumbai anti-terror court hearing the 1993 serial blasts in the city.
As per electoral laws, a person convicted for a criminal offense and sentenced to jail for more than two years is barred from running for elections.
We spoke to our source who said,”Its really very sad for Sanjay Dutt because he was very keen to contest elections and help the needy but now he respects SC (Supreme Court) decision.”
The Samajwadi Party headed by Amar Singh was sure of promoting Dutt as their candidate from Lucknow and had therefore already begun campaigning in the region. And this ruling will definitely put a full stop to their ambitions.
However, Singh has also previously announced that if Dutt failed to receive relief from the Court, they would even look at his wife Maanyata Dutt contesting the election for the SP. -Sampurn Media
- Warrant issued for Sanjay Dutt's arrest - May 28, 2011
- I will never return to politics: Sanjay Dutt - Jul 26, 2011
- 'Congress will not put up candidate against Sanjay Dutt' - Mar 28, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear Sanjay Dutt's petition to stay conviction - Mar 30, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear Sanjay Dutt''s petition on March 30 to stay conviction - Mar 06, 2009
- Sanjay Dutt's electoral dream crashes, cannot contest polls (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2009
- Nafisa Ali replaces Sanjay Dutt as SP candidate from Lucknow - Apr 05, 2009
- CBI opposes relief for Sanjay Dutt - Aug 23, 2012
- Sanjay Dutt says Congress minister threatened him (Lead) - Apr 01, 2009
- Sanjay can't contest, apex court dismisses plea (Lead) - Mar 31, 2009
- CBI seeking legal opinion on Dutt's plea in Supreme Court - Mar 26, 2009
- Supreme Court turns down Sanjay Dutt's plea - Mar 31, 2009
- Not linked to 1993 Mumbai blasts, Sanjay Dutt tells SC - Aug 14, 2012
- SC reserves order on Sanjay Dutt's plea - Mar 30, 2009
- SC to hear Sanjay Dutt's plea on Monday - Mar 29, 2009
Tags: amar singh, ambitions, bench, campaigning, chief justice, conviction, criminal offense, electoral laws, k g balakrishnan, lok sabha elections, maanyata, party leaders, sad news, Samajwadi Party, sanjay dutt, sc supreme court, serial blasts, six years, supreme court decision, well wishers