‘Multinational companies reject Slumdog Millionaire’October 31st, 2008 - 5:49 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 31 (IANS) Mercedes-Benz and a multinational soft drinks company insisted on removing their logos from scenes in “Slumdog Millionaire” because they did not want to be associated with a Mumbai slum, the film’s director says.The film, based on Indian diplomat Vikas Swarup’s rags-to-riches novel, premiered Thursday night at the gala closing of the London Film Festival to critical acclaim and is predicted to be one of the biggest hits of the year.
But director Danny Boyle told The Times newspaper that Mercedes-Benz and the drinks company believed their brands would be sullied if shown in a Mumbai slum - the film’s setting.
He said Mercedes-Benz pulled out of a chase scene that culminates with a slumlord in dark glasses emerging from a white saloon car.
“The thing (you did not see) was the Mercedes logo on that car,” Boyle said after the screening.
“We had to take that off because Mercedes don’t want to be associated with being in a slum. We wanted to use a Mercedes because… this guy, this gangster would drive a Mercedes… But if you use Mercedes then clearly you have to get permission, and we asked for their permission and they refused it,” the director said.
The paper said Friday Mercedes-Benz apparently gave permission for its logo to appear on the gangster’s car when it was parked outside his mansion and on a car hired by wealthy American tourists.
Boyle also spoke about having to disguise the logo of a global drinks company.
“There is a scene where the kids are on a rubbish dump and they get offered these bottles of… popular fizzy drink.
“Not only were we not allowed to use their name, basically we had to paint over the label on the bottle as well.
“So we ended up paying tens of thousands of pounds painting out these symbols which are meant to unite the world, aren’t they?” Boyle added.
- Mercedes to increase investments to Rs.850 crore - Sep 05, 2012
- Mercedes and Jaypee Sports launch performance driving academy - Jan 04, 2012
- Mercedes-Benz India to hike car prices from May 1 - Apr 26, 2011
- Mercedes-Benz sales soar - Apr 05, 2012
- Mercedes-Benz India rolls out 30,000th car (With Image) - Dec 08, 2010
- Mercedes-Benz is official partner of Noida F1 track - Aug 24, 2011
- Daimler AG gets RBI nod for non-banking finance company - Apr 25, 2011
- Mercedes-Benz sells 90 C-class cars' to Carzonrent - Jul 18, 2011
- Mercedes launches the next-generation SLK 350 - Aug 11, 2011
- Mercedes-Benz launches pre-owned car business in India - Jun 28, 2010
- Mercedes Benz registers 40 percent sales growth - Sep 02, 2011
- Mercedes-Benz launches new M-Class in India - May 15, 2012
- Mercedes to retail exclusive apparel and accessories - Sep 13, 2010
- Mercedes Benz India logs record July sales - Aug 02, 2010
- Mercedes launches four-door coupe - Sep 08, 2011