Mukul Dev mimicked Naseer’s voice perfectly: MundhraSeptember 18th, 2008 - 9:32 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 18 (IANS) Britain-based filmmaker Jagmohan Mundhra says he roped in Mukul Dev to dub for Naseeruddin Shah in the Hindi version of “Shoot On Sight” after the veteran actor refused to do that.And he made sure that the younger artiste mimicked Naseer’s baritone to the minutest detail.
“Once Naseer made it clear that he wouldn’t dub for the Hindi version of my film, I began to search for a voice that would replicate Naseer’s speech patterns and intonations,” Mundhra told IANS.
“I was very clear that I wanted an actor to dub Naseer. Only then would the dubbing artiste understand what, how and why Naseer was trying to say what he was. That in place, I personally sat down with Mukul for the dubbing to make sure he got the nuances of Naseer’s voice right. In short, I made Mukul mimic Naseer down to every detail,” he said.
This was the only dubbing that Mundhra supervised personally.
“I was with Mukul to dub all his lines.”
Aly Khan dubbed for Mikaal Zulfiker, who plays Naseer’s nephew in the movie, Shobhini Singh dubbed for Greta Scachi, Maninee Dey for Laila Rouss and Tom Alter for Brian Cox.
“All the rest of the voices, including the other main characters like Mikaal Zulfiker, Greta Scachi, Laila Rouss and Brian Cox were supervised by this wonderful lady named Leela Ghosh who was recommended to me by Aparna Sen. Leela had supervised the dubbing of Aparna’s ‘Mr & Mrs Iyer’ in Hindi. But for Naseer’s voice I could take no chances.”
The results would be out when “Shoot On Sight” releases in October.
“Mukul Dev sounds exactly like Naseer. But he is not Naseer. So what? I saw a Bengali film dubbed in Hindi called ‘Anuranan’ where the original hero Rahul Bose dubbed his own lines. How did that help the film? Finally, people go to see a film, not to hear who’s speaking, or not.”
About the accusation that the series of biopics that Mundhra made has not worked and he has therefore gone back to making B-grade, soft porn thrillers, Mundhra said: “B-grade thriller, soft porn, biopic maker - these are labels given to me by the media.
“I’m making the films I want to make. After I complete ‘Begunaah’ with Anuj Saxena and Udita Goswami, I go into a suspense thriller, ‘Room Mates’, where Raima Sen and Gul Panag play the title roles.”
When told that Mukul Dev had dubbed his lines in “Shoot On Sight”, Naseer said: “I hope he enjoyed it. I would certainly not have!”
Naseer had earlier said that it was “a dumb idea to dub an English film into Hindi”.
- Filmmaker Jagmohan Mundhra dies of cardiac arrest - Sep 04, 2011
- Pakistani actor Mikaal Zulfikar to move to Mumbai - Oct 29, 2008
- 'Shoot On Sight' lays out blueprint for global terrorism (IANS Film Review - Rating: ***) - Oct 17, 2008
- Pakistani actor wants to buy home in Mumbai - Dec 06, 2008
- Naseer in Hriday Shetty's next, happy to work with Atul, Kay Kay - May 17, 2011
- S. Shankar On Endhiran - Sep 30, 2010
- Shruti comes into her own with '3': Kamal Haasan - Apr 03, 2012
- 'Achcha to hum chalte hain': Rajesh Khanna bids a quiet adieu (Obituary) - Jul 18, 2012
- Birju Maharaj to choreograph Kathak for Kamal Haasan - Dec 11, 2011
- 'Hate Story' was written with A-certificate in mind: Agnihotri - Mar 09, 2012
- Badami makes Akshay sentimental (Movie Snippets) - Feb 08, 2012
- Bollywood who's who descends for 'Hum Dono' in colour - Feb 04, 2011
- Jagmohan Mundhra's 'Shoot On Sight' in trouble - Sep 04, 2008
- Jagmohan Mundra's 'Shoot On Sight' banned in Pakistan - Sep 22, 2008
- '...Milkha Bhaag' shooting to resume after summer break - Jul 06, 2012