Movie Review -Radio (2009)December 4th, 2009 - 2:06 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Radio: Completely out of tune
Rating: 1.5* out of 5*
Starring: Himesh Reshammiya, Shenaz Treasurywala and Sonal Sehgal
Director: Ishan Trivedi
Hotshot RJ (Himesh) gets divorced with his wife Pooja (Sonal) on her insistence because she feels they lacked compatibility. However, they continue to remain friends. This leaves him utterly confused in his daily life. He encounters Shanaya Dhingra (Shenaz) in a misunderstood situation and ends up insulting her. But more chance meetings later, they end up becoming good friends. Shanaya ends up being a ray of sunshine in Vivan’s dull personal life. But Shanaya and Vivan’s friendship leads to Pooja getting extremely jealous. Situation becomes more complicated for Vivan as Shanaya’s parents mistake him for being their daughter’s boyfriend. Then there is also a reality show on Vivan’s radio channel which has Shanaya posing as his lover. What all further complicated confusions it all leads forms the rest of this utterly confused film!
The thing that you keep realizing while watching Radio is that, more than its characters, it’s the makers who are more confused and complicated! Structuring the narrative in chapter format ala Tarantino doesn’t quiet work with this one. All those, “3 weeks later’, “few hours later’ make it unintentionally hilarious. There is however a decent attempt at trying to convey an identifiable situation of many an urban couple’s lives. But then again unwanted songs and situations that over stay their time limit, bungle it all up. Director Ishan Trivedi delivered a light hearted satirical comedy with his debut directorial venture 7 ½ Phere and was quiet entertaining. But alas, same can’t be said about Radio. The film attempts to be too cool in every department and ends up getting all messed up. The climax too is extra stretched and you actually lose interest as to who is going to end up with what! Then again Paresh Rawal’s character, doesn’t really evoke the expected laughter that it should.
Himesh tries and succeeds in putting up a better act than his last two acting ventures. Shenaz is very good. Sonal despite a good screen presence fails to impress but the fault lies with her confused characterization. Zakir Hussain playing Shenaz’s father has his funny moments. Rajesh Khattar as Himesh’s boss is nice.
Paresh Rawal in a special appearance is a let down.
The only one department which leaves you mighty impressed is Himesh’s music. Mann Ka Radio, Teri Meri Dosti Ka and Zindagi Jaise Ek Radio being the pick of the lot.
Radio is only for die hard Himesh fans, so if you are not one, don’t even dare to try it.
- FIRST LOOK: RADIO (2009) - Oct 08, 2009
- 'Radio' a Himesh Reshammiya act all the way (IANS film preview) - Nov 30, 2009
- Radio releases its music at Lal Baug Ka Raja - Sep 04, 2009
- 'Radio' - Himesh clicks, film doesn't (IANS Film Review; Rating:**) - Dec 05, 2009
- I'm bitten by the bug called acting- Shenaz Treasuryvala - Dec 01, 2009
- They alleged my son was on drugs and set himself on fire: Bedabrata Pain - Sep 12, 2012
- I was confident of my growth as actor: Himesh Reshammiya - Dec 10, 2009
- I will prove myself as an actor now: Himesh Reshammiya (Interview) - Oct 08, 2009
- Himesh's 'Radio' a hit before release! - Nov 03, 2009
- Himesh Reshammiya seeks divine blessings for his forthcoming film - Aug 30, 2009
- I love Preity Zinta's jovial nature: Salman Khan - Oct 08, 2009
- Got a chance to walk on same path as Kishore-da: Himesh - Sep 22, 2011
- "I love Preity Zinta's jovial nature" -Salman Khan - Oct 08, 2009
- No catfight between Shenaz Treasurywala and Sonal Sehgal - Dec 15, 2009
- I'm looking forward to my English film: Himesh Reshammiya - Oct 02, 2011
Tags: chance meetings, confusions, decent attempt, directorial venture, good friends, hotshot, insistence, ishan, paresh rawal, personal life, quiet work, radio channel, ray of sunshine, reality show, satirical comedy, shenaz treasurywala, sonal sehgal, time limit, trivedi, vivan