Movie Review : Main Aurr Mrs Khanna (2009)October 16th, 2009 - 5:46 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Main Aurr Mrs Khanna: Could have been better
Rating: 2 out of 5*
Starring: Salman Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Sohail Khan, Mahek Chahal, Nauheed Cyrusi, Yash Tonk and Bappi Lahiri
Director: Prem Soni
Samir (Salman) and Raina (Kareena) are married and settled in Melbourne, Australia. What started of as a loving relationship which lead to a quick marriage between the two has now turned into a complicated situation what with Samir facing major hurdles in his career to some wrong work decisions that he had taken. Raina is working as a waitress to support their house. Jobless Samir gets an opportunity to work in Singapore and make a new beginning. He takes Raina along with him but only to tell her at the airport that he has booked her ticket for India to go back to his parents and that he will come back to her once things fall in place in his career. After Samir catches his flight for Singapore, a dejected and sad, Raina keeps waiting at the airport lounge right till the final boarding announcement for her flight to India comes in. A bar tender at the cafeteria in the departure lounge, Akash (Sohail) sees her plight and offers help. He falls for her instantly but only to realize she is married. Raina gets confused whether to go to India or stay back in Australia. Just then, help comes in form of her friend Nina (Nauheed) who arranges for a job through a friend (Mahek Chahal) and Raina decides to stay back. Incidentally, Raina gets a job at the jewellery shop situated bang opposite of that of Akash’s café. Gradually friendship grows between the two. But what happens after Samir arrives back to take Raina along with him to Singapore forms the rest of the film.
Debutante writer-director Prem Soni must be called truly lucky to get a top line lead pair of Salman – Kareena and a reasonably good budget basing his film completely in Melbourne. While his film begins well, establishing his main characters and their issues without much deviation to sub plots, he fumbles in the second half. While there are a few extremely well handled and well penned sequences in the second half, but the points that the film downhill are – unconvincing situations, lack of depth in emotional issues, too simplistic solutions and most importantly you feel zero sympathy for Mr. Khanna (Salman) or Mrs Khanna (Kareena) or even Akash (Sohail). The drama is just not engaging towards the climax. The actors however have risen above the script and have pitched in wonderful performances.
Salman looks smashing and shows he can play a serious romantic role extremely well too. Kareena looks WOW and acts superbly, especially in the emotional scenes. Sohail in what one may call one of his career best roles does complete justice to his character and rises much above his written role. Yash Tonk aids him perfectly. He is hilarious in the second half especially in his scenes with Salman. Nauheed and Mahek Chahal (last seen as the gangster’s moll in Wanted) add glam quotient and act ably. Bappi Lahiri is hilarious as the jewellery shop owner. Deepika Padukone in a special appearance has nothing much to do.
Sajid Wajid’s music is very good and has been well incorporated in the film. Also, the use of RD Burman’s song sung by Amit Kumar – Bade Achche Lagte Hai has been made smartly use of two times in the film.
As you come out of the film, you do keep feeling that film could have been much better had the second half been handled well. But overall its not a bad film and you won’t regret your time wasted watching it.
- 'Main Aurr...' about dealing with conflicting feelings (IANS Preview) - Oct 13, 2009
- Salman Khan promises to feature in Prem Soni's next film - Oct 21, 2009
- Salman's Emotional Promise To Mrs Khanna Director - Oct 20, 2009
- Main Aur Mrs Khanna Music Launch - Sep 10, 2009
- Mahek Chahal's brother hits back at false allegations - Jan 06, 2012
- Bips looking like a million bucks in 'Players' promo (Movie Snippets) - Nov 04, 2011
- Shakti Kapoor to dance with girls on 'Bigg Boss 5' finale - Jan 05, 2012
- Main Aur Mrs. Khanna: An Interesting Love Triangle - Oct 16, 2009
- When Neil was hit with a broom (Movie Snippets) - Jul 28, 2010
- Bappi Lahiri Sets The Stage Ablaze In Dubai With Dj Akhil Talreja - Aug 26, 2010
- Glitz, glamour galore at Imran-Avantika wedding reception - Feb 06, 2011
- Juhi Parmar wins 'Bigg Boss 5', takes home Rs.1 crore (Lead) - Jan 08, 2012
- Preity Zinta not an 'item girl' in my film: Director - Oct 09, 2009
- First Look: Salman Khan's Main Aur Mrs.Khanna - Mar 19, 2009
- Mahek Chahal out of 'Bigg Boss 5' - Dec 11, 2011
Tags: akash, bar tender, caf, debutante, departure lounge, friend nina, hurdles, jewellery shop, kareena kapoor, loving relationship, mahek chahal, melbourne australia, nauheed cyrusi, raina, salman khan, sohail khan, waitress, work decisions, writer director, yash tonk