Movie Review: Kalavani(2010)June 29th, 2010 - 2:59 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Kalavani - Exceeds Your Expectations
Banner: Sherali Films
Star-casts: Vimal, Oviya, Thiru Murugan, Saranya, Ilavarasu and others
Music: SS Kumaran
Camera: Om Prakash
Kalai: T. Santhanam
Stunts: Dhilip Subbarayan
Lyrics: Na. Muthukumar, A. Sargunam
Verdict: Best Entertainer of this season
June 29, 2010 (Sampurn Wire): How will it be if Bharathiraja’s village based love story is retold in a new fashion? Debutant Sargunam strikes with a comedy drama that revolves around a couple from two different villages falling in love in spite of the villagers being hostile to each other. Winning rave reviews for his pleasing performance in his debut film “Pasanga’, actor Vimal continues with a good performance in this film as well. What makes the film so special irrespective of the fact that it holds a time-worn script is Sargunam’s refreshing screenplay.
Laced with comedy, romance and emotions, the film offers the best in entertainment for the universal audiences.
Arikki (Vimal), a freewheeling rural youth has the habit of getting into fun-filled acts that includes proposing to each and every girl he comes across. His father (Ilavarasu) employed in Dubai keeps transferring money for his family, which is misused by him. In fact, he threatens his mom (Saranya) and his sister about breaking the TV if he isn’t provided with the money. Fearing that they may miss mega-serials, his needs are granted. Everything goes well until he comes across a belle Maheshwari (Oviya) and falls in love with her. As they profess their love for each other, Arikki learns that she’s the youngster sister of Ilango (Thiru Murugan) with whom he and his friends had locked horns before. What unfolds next is a series of hilarious moments with a few emotional encounters and a laugh-riot of a climax.
As mentioned earlier, Vimal’s characterization as the fun-loving chap has been well established and his comic gestures merits a special mention. Just watch out for his gestures when he receives messages from his tutorial school that he has passed his 12th grade after several attempts. Newcomer Oviya is impressive in her performance, all thanks to Sargunam for finding the right girl for this character. Thiru Murugan (associate director of this film) deserves a pat on his back for the best performance while Saranya and Ilavarasu are back with their clichéd performances as the parents. It’s been a very long time since we saw Ganja Karuppu in an imposingly funny role as this. It is simply fantastic! The way he struggles after being the victim of Vimal and his gang partially reminds one of Vadivelu’s role in most of his films.
Technically, cinematographer Om Prakash deserves special mention for his innovative placement of angles while the background score and songs by SS Kumaran isn’t as best as his previous film “Poo’. For those, who had felt that village based love stories have a gloomy backdrop and tragic climax, “Kalavani’ stands out as an exception and we’d prefer you watching it.
The film is sure to be a success at the box office as there aren’t any big releases scheduled for the next couple of weeks and Surya’s “Singam’ and Manirathnam’s “Raavanan’ are dropping down the charts after a grand opening.
– R. Richard Mahesh/Sampurn Wire
- Manirathnam and Sasikumar to launch 'Kalavani' audio - Apr 12, 2010
- Kalavani Picks Up Well At Box Office - Jul 05, 2010
- Tamil film 'Masala Cafe' renamed 'Kalakalappu' - Apr 16, 2012
- 'Kiraathakaa' is lengthy but enjoyable (Kannada Movie Review) - Jun 26, 2011
- Review Of Thenmerku Paruvakatru: Celebrates Motherhood With Interesting Storyline - Dec 24, 2010
- Amala Paul And Oviya: Who Will Beat Whom In Kollywood? - Dec 07, 2010
- 'Charulatha' - Neither scares nor entertains (Tamil Movie Review) - Sep 21, 2012
- 'Thoonga Nagaram' - not a bad film (Tamil Movie Review) - Feb 06, 2011
- Gowtham Menon Picks Kalavani - Jul 22, 2010
- 'Marina' feel-good movie with strong message (Tamil Movie Review) - Feb 05, 2012
- Badami makes Akshay sentimental (Movie Snippets) - Feb 08, 2012
- Vimal Ties The Knot In Filmi Style! - Dec 31, 2010
- Komal's lively performance makes 'Maryaade Raamanna' enjoyable (Kannada Movie Review) - Sep 25, 2011
- Nandhi’s Climax Scene Brought Tears To The Eyes Of Villagers - Jan 21, 2011
- 'Krishnan Marriage Story' not so-appealing (Kannada Movie Review) - Jul 17, 2011
Tags: characterization, climax, co production, comedy drama, comedy romance, debut film, films production, gestures, hilarious moments, horns, kumaran, laugh riot, love story, movie review, new fashion, screenplay, stunts, thiru, transferring money, youngster