Movie Review: Cop Out(2010)April 17th, 2010 - 12:54 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
April 17, 2010 (Sampurn Wire):Cop Out-Stupidly Entertaining
Rating: 2.5 out of 5*
Starring: Bruce Willis, Tracy Morgan, Seann William Scott, Michelle Trachtenberg and Kevin Pollak
Director: Kevin Smith
Veteran (and divorced) NYPD cop Jimmy Monroe (Bruce Willis) wants to give his daughter the wedding she’s always wanted - but the only way he can afford it is by selling his rare and valuable baseball card. When it’s stolen from under his nose, he Jimmy recruits his police partner of nine years, Paul Hodges (Tracy Morgan) to track down the thief, a memorabilia-obsessed, pot-smoking thief, Dave (Seann William Scott). But the chase draws them into the underworld of Mexican thugs and a lot more trouble than they bargained for.
Kevin Smith directed Cop Out is not an extraordinary comedy but there are quite a few scenes that will have you laughing out loud. The one-liners come fast and furiously. However, the humor that works early on is nearly completely abandoned after the first half hour. Tracy Morgan’s character does an entire scene in which he interrogates a druggie while paying homage to a wide range of famous movies. It’s incredibly funny, but then his attachment to films is left behind as the writers throw out the funniest aspect of his character. With the majority of action lacking don’t expect any extreme stunts or death defying moves.
Tracy Morgan’s performance is very entertaining, but at times could be bordering on irritating. Bruce Willis who has become rather comfortable with the role of the officer proved that age is only a number and his skills are still intact. In an obvious tribute to the Joe Pesci character in the “Lethal Weapon” series, Seann William Scott’s annoying presence is one of the funniest parts of the script.
Overall going into Cop Out you should expect the expected, a spoof of a comedy that is not an Oscar winner, but rather the first stupidly entertaining film of 2010.
- Kevin Smith Says Bruce Willis Set To Direct His Own! - Jan 25, 2011
- 'Cop Out' - good for giggles, not for laughs (IANS Movie Review) - Apr 16, 2010
- William Scott in rehab - Mar 16, 2011
- William Scott leaves rehab after 30 days - Apr 14, 2011
- Bruce Willis is "intimidating" to work with, says Kevin Smith - Oct 27, 2009
- Bruce Willis to star in 'American Assassin' - Sep 08, 2012
- Bruce Willis to star in comedy A Couple of Cops - Mar 04, 2009
- Gerard Butler set for mini new role - Mar 22, 2010
- A new man in Demi Moore's life? - Dec 02, 2011
- Review Of Red: Can It Be Called A Action Comedy? - Nov 26, 2010
- Kevin Hart's Movies Released In iTune Movie Stores - Dec 05, 2010
- Bruce Willis And His Gang Shows Action At Its Best - Oct 16, 2010
- Bruce Willis escapes injury after escalator malfunction - Oct 06, 2010
- Jim Carrey might star in 'Bruce Almighty' sequel - Jan 11, 2012
- TNT Apologizes After Tracy Morgan Calls Sarah Palin 'Great Masturbation Material'! - Jan 29, 2011
Tags: baseball card, bruce willis, director kevin smith, druggie, extreme stunts, joe pesci, kevin pollak, kevin smith, lethal weapon, lethal weapon series, michelle trachtenberg, one liners, oscar winner, paul hodges, paying homage, police partner, pot smoking, seann william scott, spoof, tracy morgan