Movie Review: 99May 15th, 2009 - 3:21 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
99: Justifies its tag line
Rating: 3.5 out of 5*
Starring: Kunal Khemu, Cyrus Broacha, Boman Irani, Soha Ali Khan, Mahesh Manjrekar and Vinod Khanna.
Directors: Raj Nidimoru and Krishna DK
The film begins in 1999 Mumbai. Sachin (Kunal Khemu) and Zaramud (Cyrus Broacha) are two small time crooks who make moolah duplicating mobile SIM cards. It was a time when mobiles craze was just catching on and not many people carried mobiles. When cops raid Sachin and Zaramud’s place they steal a posh Mercedes and try to run but end up ramming it into a lamp post. Their problems multiply as the expensive car belongs to a ruthless underworld don cum bookie AGM (Mahesh Manjrekar). To recover his huge loss from them AGM gets the duo working under him. AGM then sends the two to Delhi to recover Rs. 20 lakhs from Rahul Vidyarthi (Boman) who had laid a bet on a India v/s New Zealand match under his syndicate. Now this Rahul is a chronic gambler and is forever in debt evading all those demanding back their money. He tries the same with Rahul and Zaramud. But the two succeed in getting back the money but then to their bad luck it gets stolen on their way to the airport. Now their only chance to recover all that money is that one match between India v/s South Africa that Rahul plans to bet on which he knows is fixed. But he is not sure on whose favour. How the trio with the help of Pooja (Soha), hotel employee and Kunal new found love try to find a way out of this forms the rest of this comic thriller.
The film carries the tag line - Part Fact, Part Fiction, Pure Fun. Rarely Bollywood film tag lines live up to the expectations raised but 99 is bang on. The makers have intricately woven situations (betting scandal, mobile phone nuisance) that actually took place in 1999-2000 with a fictional story and made it extremely entertaining. This film might just end the drought multiplex audiences were subjected to. What lifts the film to a great extent are the dialogues. The one-liners are terrific and all the actors are bang on with their comic timing. Director duo Raj Nidimoru and Krishna DK have done a fantastic job over all but just that they could have kept the pacing even. All the scenes between Boman and his wife played by Simone Singh tend to drag and bring the pace down. But thats just a minor flaw. The film’s treatment is fresh and it keeps you hooked throughout.
Kunal Khemu’s fan following should multiply with this film. He is just too good. Cyrus Broacha in his first full fledged role in a Hindi film is howlarious. He is even funny in scenes where he doesn’t even have a line to speak. Boman is back in form after a long time. Soha’s shows she can be very good with comedy too. Simone Singh playing Boman’s wife is fair. But the two guys who stand out tall are Mahesh Manjrekar and Amit Mistry. Manjrekar’s poker faced humour leaves you laughing out loud. All his scenes with Kunal-Cyrus and the ones where he tortures his clients are extremely funny. Amit Mistry had last impressed in Ek Chalis Ki Last Local playing Abhay Deol’s gambler friend. Here he plays Manjrekar’s Delhi associate and he impresses yet again. In a cameo role, Vinod Khanna exudes style and fits the part perfectly as the big bookie and Boman’s nemesis.
99 is a cool movie to be enjoyed in this hot 2009 summer. Don’t miss it. Finally there is a clean, innovative comedy thats worth your money. -Sampurn Media
- '99' a tangy take on match-fixing (IANS Film Review - Rating: **) - May 16, 2009
- Why a good entertainer like 99 got a lukewarm response? - May 19, 2009
- Music launch of 99 - Apr 17, 2009
- Now '99' too defies strike, gets set to arrive on 1st May - Apr 11, 2009
- Saif steals a march over Abhay-Genelia's zombie movie! - Jan 06, 2012
- Saif steals a march over Abhay-Genelia's zombie movie! (Lead) - Jan 06, 2012
- 99 Premiere held at PVR Phoenix - May 15, 2009
- '99' to bring back smiles for beleaguered Bollywood? - May 14, 2009
- "I won't be very comfortable calling '99' as a comedy" - Kunal Khemu - May 08, 2009
- Kunal Khemu releases music album of '99' - Apr 17, 2009
- '99' to end dry spell at multiplexes - May 13, 2009
- Movie Review : Fruit and Nut (2009) - Oct 24, 2009
- Kunal hopes Saif's Khan connect works for 'Go Goa Gone' - Jul 07, 2012
- Kunal Khemu not comfortable shooting intimate scenes - Feb 28, 2012
- Kunal Khemu, Soha Ali team for comedy - Sep 04, 2008
Tags: agm, boman irani, bookie, comic thriller, cyrus broacha, expensive car, fictional story, hotel employee, kunal khemu, lakhs, mahesh manjrekar, one liners, pooja, s south, sim cards, small time crooks, soha ali khan, tag line, tag lines, vinod khanna