Movie Director Ron Howard refuses to remove gay joke from ‘The Dilemma’November 1st, 2010 - 8:27 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Nov 1 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Movie director Ron Howard maintains that the gay joke in the upcoming movie “The Dilemma” will not be removed from the movie. The joke was removed from the trailer after complaints from several quarters including Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and some personalities.
In the said scene, actor, Vince Vaughn said, “Electric cars…are gay”. Those words were highly criticized by several personalities including CNN’s Anderson Cooper who revealed that in the spate of the current gay youth suicides in the United States, the movie was in bad taste.
Howard however does not agree. So does Universal Studios, which confirmed that the movie will come out on January 14 with the joke. Howard recently said, “I believe in sensitivity but not censorship,” and adding that the film is for grown-ups, not kids. Vaughn’s character, Ronny, he says, “is far from perfect and he does and says some outrageous things”. He however revealed that he believes in “the right for some people to express offense at a joke as strongly as I do the right for that joke to be in a film”
The movie is set to be released on January 14.
- Movie Review: The Dilemma - Jan 14, 2011
- Movie Preview 'The Dilemma': A Pertinent Question That Falls Short - Jan 13, 2011
- Winona Ryder was 'forced' to audition for 'Dilemma' - Jan 21, 2011
- Actress Winona Ryder all set to star in the movie Dilemma - Sep 22, 2010
- 'The Dilemma' trailer under a spot for having a gay slur - Oct 10, 2010
- Daniel Craig, Hugh Jackman And Who Else Makes It To Ron Howard’s The Dark Tower list - Dec 22, 2010
- 'The Green Hornet' tops weekend box-office - Jan 17, 2011
- 'Barfi' not a silent film, says Anurag Basu - Jul 04, 2012
- ‘The Green Hornet’ Occupies The Primary Spot In The Box Office Weekend Of Martin Luther ... - Jan 17, 2011
- Ron Howard To Direct "24" Movie? - Feb 05, 2011
- Vince Vaughn to produce 'The Risk Agent' - Jul 27, 2012
- Amazing Spider-Man trailer released - Feb 08, 2012
- Matthew Vaughn To Direct 'X-Men: First Class' - May 06, 2010
- Glee, True Blood, And Modern Family Nominated At 22nd GLAAD Media Awards - Jan 20, 2011
- Lil B gets death threats because of album title - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: anderson cooper, bad taste, censorship, cnn, dilemma, director ron howard, electric cars, gay joke, gay youth, lesbian alliance against defamation, movie director, nov 1, outrageous things, personalities, ron howard, spate, universal studios, ups, vince vaughn, youth suicides