More trouble for SivansSeptember 29th, 2010 - 8:17 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Sep 29 (IANS) Southern filmmaker Sivan has been chosen as jury member to select the films for the Indian Panorama section in which two films of his two sons are competing — and many are unhappy with this.
Santosh Sivan starrer “Makaramanju” and Sangeeth Sivan’s Hindi film “Click” are among the 141 films entered for the Panorama section and the jury has to shortlist 21 out of them.
Ace director Renjith, whose “Pranchiettan And The Saint” starring superstar Mammootty is doing roaring business at the box office, asked isn’t this father-son business turning murky?
“Since the father is there, his son’s film will come through and this is going to be a blot for the director, isn’it? This business of father-son should end and this does not augur well for the industry as a whole,” said Renjith.
A director, speaking on condition of anonymity, observed that this father-son duo business has been going on for long.
“In the early 2000, actor Amol Palekar showed real character when he quit the post of the jury chairman while selecting the national awards simply because he played a guest role in a Marathi film which was vying for honours,” said the director who feels that Sivan and company is not doing the right thing.
Malayalam film personality Madhu, however, defended Sivan.
“Look, father and son are two individuals and there is nothing wrong if either of them sits in the jury to select films,” he said.
Award winning director Harikumar, whose statement that Sivan’s son’s film “Kesu” won the National Award because of his gratitude, evoked strong criticism from the Sivans.
So he refused to comment on the recent development, saying: “If I say something, it would be seen as an extension of the tug of war between us.”
- More flak for National Award winning children's film - Sep 17, 2010
- Court stays national award for Malayalam film 'Kesu' - Oct 19, 2010
- National award winning children's film set for legal tangle - Sep 16, 2010
- Awarded Malayalam film 'Kesu' dragged to court - Oct 05, 2010
- Malayalam film director says awards rigged, mulls legal action - Sep 21, 2010
- Majid Gulistan Likely To File Plea Against Jury Decision! - Sep 24, 2010
- Mammootty, Mohanlal bag Asianet film awards yet again - Jan 01, 2011
- Konkani film with Remo's music to be screened at IFFI - Oct 25, 2010
- IIFI 2011: Malayalam films dominate Indian panorama - Oct 18, 2011
- Tale of mother-son relationship adjudged best Manipuri film - Mar 08, 2012
- Absence of Malayalees in jury helped us win awards: Malayalam filmmakers - May 19, 2011
- Colors snaps up rights to Screen Awards - Dec 13, 2011
- 'Send best feature film at national awards to Oscars' - Sep 06, 2011
- Sivan first South Asian to get ASC membership - Apr 28, 2012
- 18 films to vie for Rs.9 million prize money at IFFI 2010 - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: amol palekar, anonymity, doing the right thing, father and son, film personality, filmmaker, gratitude, hindi film, indian panorama, jury chairman, jury member, mammootty, national awards, panorama section, renjith, sangeeth, santosh sivan, thiruvananthapuram, tug of war, two films