‘Monsters vs. Aliens’ tops North America weekend box officeMarch 30th, 2009 - 8:10 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, March 30 (Xinhua) DreamWorks Animation’s comedy “Monsters vs. Aliens” won the box office race this weekend, generating some $58.2 million in its North American debut and making Hollywood’s best opening so far this year, according to preliminary estimates released Sunday.
The animated movie, which tells the story of a ragtag group who fight with invading extra terrestrials to save the world, opened on an impressive 7,000 screens in the US and Canada, including 2,000 digital 3-D or Imax theaters.
“Monsters vs. Aliens,” a $150-million production, is the biggest gamble so far by Hollywood in the 3-D category, as major studios bet big on digital 3-D as a savior of the movie exhibition business.
“The Haunting in Connecticut,” another new release from Lionsgate, opened in second place with $23 million in estimated ticket sales.
Nicolas Cage’s sci-fi thriller “Knowing”, which was last week’s box office leader, pulled in $14.7 million, placing third in its second weekend of release.
Rounding out the top five movies in North America this weekend were Paramount comedy “I Love You, Man” and spy thriller “Duplicity”, with $12.6 million and $7.6 million respectively over the three-day period. Both movies were in their second weekend of release.
- Megamind upstages Unstoppable in the box office test - Nov 15, 2010
- Harry Potter finale makes history with four opening records - Jul 18, 2011
- 'Monsters vs. Aliens' tops US weekend box office - Mar 30, 2009
- 'Megamind': Animated Superhero Flick Releasing Tomorrow - Nov 04, 2010
- Monsters vs Aliens hits the US box office - Mar 30, 2009
- DreamWorks China venture to produce first animation film - Mar 20, 2012
- The top 10 highest grossing films - Nov 15, 2010
- 'The Grey' sets box office on fire over the weekend - Jan 30, 2012
- 3D movie 'Megamind' tops US box office - Nov 08, 2010
- 'Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows' Set To Smash Competition At Box Office - Nov 19, 2010
- 'Water for Elephants' film to release next week - Apr 22, 2011
- Rajasthan-set 'Marigold Hotel' makes top 10 in US - May 15, 2012
- 'Saw 3D' Collects $24.4 Million At Box With Its Genre Bending Reality - Nov 02, 2010
- 'India lacks finances, design sensibility for animation films' - Feb 03, 2011
- 'Hangover Part II' tops US box office - May 30, 2011
Tags: aliens, american debut, dreamworks, dreamworks animation, duplicity, exhibition business, extra terrestrials, haunting in connecticut, imax theaters, new release, nicolas cage, paramount comedy, ragtag group, s box, savior, sci fi thriller, spy thriller, ticket sales, weekend box office, xinhua