Mohanlal clueless why he is not in ‘Saat Khoon Maaf’September 16th, 2010 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, Sep 16 (IANS) Malayalam superstar Mohanlal, who returns to Hindi movies with Priyadarshan’s next, says he is still puzzled why he is not in Vishal Bharadwaj’s “Saat Khoon Maaf”.
“I was on for the role. I had been finalised and signed. I was not even told why my services were not needed. But I’d rather not talk about this. I’d rather focus on talking about Priyan’s film,” said Mohanlal, 50, who was to play one of Priyanka Chopra’s seven husbands in the film.
Right now he is excited about Priyadarshan’s thriller, which will be shot on a speeding train in London. This is Mohanalal and Priyan’s 40th film together.
“I haven’t asked Priyan what my role is. He told me he needed me for a cameo. And I agreed,” said the actor whose last Hindi movie was the disastrous “Ram Gopal Varma Ki Aag”.
In Priyadarshan’s film, Mohanlal plays a Malayali cop in Britain. In Varma’s “Company” he had played a south Indian police commissioner. In both cases, the characters were altered for Mohanlal’s sake. But the actor says language is not a barrier anymore.
“The language is not really important. I am shooting a terrorist drama ‘Khandahar’ right now and it’s hard to say what the language of the film is. The characters speak in Malayalam, Hindi and English. I think cinema now transcends all linguistic barriers.”
Priyadarshan, who is teaming with his favourite actor after eight years, said: “I’ve done 39 films with Mohanlal so far. For the last eight years we haven’t worked together. I was busy doing remakes of Mohanlal films with Akshay Kumar. I thought it was high time that I did something again with the original. Mohanlal didn’t even ask me what his role in the film was. That’s the level of trust we have.”
- The Mythical Mohanlal Returns To Mumbai - Sep 16, 2010
- Bollywood for newcomers, says Mohanlal - Apr 19, 2012
- I did 'Tezz' only for Priyan: Mohanlal - Apr 17, 2012
- Priyadarshan to work with Aamir on AIDS film - Feb 15, 2011
- Ram Charan Teja will let silence speak louder in 'Zanjeer' - Apr 14, 2012
- Malayalam actor denies his film mocks superstar Mohanlal - Jan 22, 2012
- Priyadarshan excited after completing three decades in showbiz - Nov 25, 2010
- No dancing around trees in 'Khatta Meetha': Trisha (Interview) - Jul 01, 2010
- 'Tezz' item song goes to Sameera - Jul 22, 2011
- I'm doing Malayalam film only for Mohanlal: Big B - Jun 29, 2010
- Malayalam films fail to impress at National Awards; Malayalees do - Mar 07, 2012
- Priyadarshan is very demanding: Zayed Khan - Apr 20, 2012
- Ajay gets experimental, signs Priyadarshan's film - Aug 03, 2011
- After Ileana, southern actress Sneha ready to enter Bollywood - Apr 15, 2011
- I'm training camera on social causes: Priyadarshan (Interview) - Sep 22, 2011
Tags: akshay kumar, cameo, clueless, cop, high time, hindi movie, indian police, linguistic barriers, maaf, mohanlal, mumbai, play one, police commissioner, priyanka chopra, ram gopal varma ki aag, remakes, sake, speeding train, subhash k jha, vishal bharadwaj