‘Mogudu’ an average tale of emotional bonding (Telugu Film Review)November 5th, 2011 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
Film: “Mogudu”; Producer: Nallamarapu Bujji; Direction-Screenplay: Krishna Vamshi; Music: Babu Shankar; Cast: Gopichand, Taapsee Pannu, Shraddha Das, Rajendra Prasad, Roja, Ahuthi Prasad, Naresh, Harsha Vardhan and others; Camera: Srikanth; Rating: **1/2
The one time associate of filmmaker Ram Gopal Varma, Krishna Vamshi, has carved his own niche in the Telugu film industry with projects like “Ninne Pelladutha”, “Muraari” and “Chandamama”. While he had made equally disastrous movies, his creative instincts, love for fresh subjects and top-class technical work have made him a director to watch out for.
In his latest offering “Mogudu” the director has maintained his own style by focusing more on the glamorous and sentimental aspects than action sequences. For Telugu film industry’s action hero Gopichand, this is an entire different genre; not a staple diet for his fans.
Just like his previous films, the story of “Mogudu” deals with the strength of family values and how small issues can spoil the equilibrium of a happy and united family. The film offers a mixed bag of emotions topped with elements like humour, family sentiments, camera work and poignant performances, particularly from veteran actor Rajendra Prasad .
On hindsight, the film drags a bit in the second half and gets too predictable. On top of it, Tapsee, its lead actress has dubbed in her own voice which hampers the impact of many crucial sequences. The camera work too could have been a little more effective.
Bujji (Gopichand) hails from a joint family who are perfectly happy in their own world. But his father, Anjaneya Prasad (Rajendra Prasad) wants him to marry and bring happiness to the large family. But Bujji fears his wife can play a spoil sport and break this big happy family.
In between all this, Bujji falls for the charms of Raja Rajeswari (Taapsee Pannu), who is the daughter of a strong woman politician. The two decide to marry, and the marriage takes place but before the newly-weds can go home, some issue arise and the marriage breaks down in a day.
A dejected Bujji moves to Mauritius to heal his wounds, but there he accidentally meets Rajeswari and also his old flame. Interestingly, his old flame is keen on marrying him, but Bujji rejects her proposal and moves towards his wife. Both of them decide to re-unite and the decision surprises their family and relatives. How both make attempts to convince their relatives, forms the climax.
Gopi Chand looks stylish in his designer wear. He is good in action sequences and shows his talent as a performer. But, it is Rajendra Prasad who steals the show with his stellar performance. Taapsee looks extremely glamorous, but her dubbing work is atrocious. Shraddha Das as the ex-flame will please the front rows with skin show and oomph factor.
The film is just an above average fare. It is a disappointment for the director’s ardent fans who expect much from his films.
- 'Mr. Perfect' flawed but entertaining (Telugu Movie Review) - Apr 24, 2011
- 'Bava' is packed with mindless sequences (Telugu Film Review) - Oct 30, 2010
- 'Munjaane' - Hero saves this average fare (Kannada Movie Review) - Mar 03, 2012
- B Gopal to direct Gopichand - May 19, 2010
- 'Bhale Mogudu-Bhale Pellam' in post-production - Sep 16, 2010
- 'Narsimha' - must watch for Ravichandran fans (Kannada Movie Review) - Mar 24, 2012
- Poor script spoils 'Kho Kho' (Kannada Movie Review) - Jan 15, 2012
- 'Pilla Zamindar' is above average (Telugu Movie Review) - Oct 15, 2011
- 'Bheema Theeradhalli' - far from true biopic (Kannada Movie Review) - Apr 07, 2012
- 'Krishnan Marriage Story' not so-appealing (Kannada Movie Review) - Jul 17, 2011
- Post-production works complete for 'BMBP' - Sep 07, 2010
- Superb action sequences fail to save badly scripted 'AK 56' (Kannada Movie Review) - Feb 12, 2012
- 'Kalyan Ram Kathi' is extremely violent (Telugu Film Review) - Nov 13, 2010
- 'Brindavanam' - a good treat for family audience (Telugu Film Review) - Oct 16, 2010
- Ravi Teja's 'Nippu' a letdown (Telugu Movie Review) - Feb 19, 2012
Tags: action hero, action sequences, camera work, chandamama, creative instincts, gopichand, happy family, marria, naresh, previous films, raja rajeswari, rajendra prasad, ram gopal varma, staple diet, strong woman, telugu film industry, time associate, united family, vamshi, veteran actor