MJ’s concert promoters donate $90,000 to memorial costAugust 1st, 2009 - 3:14 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Aug 1 (ANI): Michael Jackson’s concert promoters have donated a whopping 90,000 dollars to the police, as part of their promise to contribute to the cost of controlling the inundation of fans at the late pop superstar’s Los Angeles memorial.
The Late King of Pop’s life was celebrated at a star-studded event at the Staples Center on July 7, just days after his untimely death on June 25 (09).
Reports have suggested that at least 1.4 million dollars were spent by the city to cover costs for the mammoth task of arranging the celebrity bash while keeping control of the legions of fans who descended on L.A. to pay their respects.
Over 3,000 police officers were deployed on to the streets to ensure the mourning crowds do not create havoc.
Owing to the high expense of the memorial, representatives for Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa’s office appealed to fans for donations to contribute to the cost.
Meanwhile, local councilman Dennis Zine called on Jackson’s family and concert promoters AEG to foot the bill.
AEG bosses promised to make a donation, and on Friday (July 31) the company handed over a cheque for 90,000 dollars to the L.A. Police Foundation.
The cash will go towards building a memorial for cops killed in the line of duty at the downtown L.A. police headquarters. (ANI)
- MJ memorial gig's $1.4M bill 'rips off' LA City Council - Jul 13, 2009
- MJ memorial gig promoter under probe over 'not donating proceeds to charity' - Jul 31, 2009
- Concert promoters termed MJ 'emotionally paralyzed mess' - Sep 03, 2012
- Lost videotapes could clear MJ's doc - Apr 03, 2011
- Joe Jackson files complaint against MJ's concert promoters - Jun 18, 2010
- MJ's parents reunite 'to sue doctor for his death' - Nov 07, 2010
- Ex-manager files lawsuit against MJ's estate - Feb 18, 2012
- Jackson kids' lawyer makes first appearance - Aug 18, 2009
- MJ 'could have been saved' - Sep 12, 2010
- MJ's parents 'hire private detectives to probe son's death' - Aug 05, 2009
- 'Occupy LA' protestors defy order to evacuate by Sunday midnight - Nov 28, 2011
- La Toya Jackson to sing at MJ tribute show - Oct 01, 2011
- Michael Jackson's clothes for sale - Jul 11, 2009
- Jacko concert bosses hope to recover losses via $17.5M insurance cover - Jul 03, 2009
- Bieber fined for speeding - Jul 07, 2012
Tags: aeg, antonio villaraigosa, concert promoters, councilman, crowds, havoc, inundation, king of pop, legions, line of duty, mammoth task, mayor antonio villaraigosa, michael jackson, mj, police foundation, police headquarters, police officers, pop superstar, staples center, untimely death