MJ memorial gig’s $1.4M bill ‘rips off’ LA City CouncilJuly 13th, 2009 - 1:39 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 13 (ANI): Los Angeles City Council officials are apparently in talks about who should pay the 1.4 million dollar bill for Michael Jackson’s memorial concert.
The Mayor’s office previously revealed nearly 17, 000 dollars were donated to a website collecting cash before it collapsed.
Councilman Dennis Zine believes that taxpayers, who have been asked to make donations, “are getting ripped off”, reports the BBC.
Zine has called for a review on policing and traffic control costs that stemmed from last week’s service at the Staples Center, considering that the city is already in debt for half of a billion dollars.
The councilman said that promoter AEG Live or the Jackson family should foot the bill for the thousands of police officers and emergency services deployed at the event attended by 17,000 fans.
Zine apparently asked at a meeting whether the organiser or producers might provide “reimbursement to the city to replenish the public safety and other critical funds.”
However, AEG President Tim Leiweke said that the company did fund the memorial itself. (ANI)
- MJ's concert promoters donate $90,000 to memorial cost - Aug 01, 2009
- Concert promoters termed MJ 'emotionally paralyzed mess' - Sep 03, 2012
- Computer glitch costs LA taxpayers $1.4 million for MJ's memorial - Jul 09, 2009
- Investigation launched into MJ's memorial service - Jul 22, 2009
- Bieber fined for speeding - Jul 07, 2012
- Michael Jackson's memorial to be held on Tuesday; tickets available soon - Jul 03, 2009
- MJ memorial gig promoter under probe over 'not donating proceeds to charity' - Jul 31, 2009
- Jackson's promoter to provide 11,000 free tickets for memorial - Jul 03, 2009
- Jackson fans flood website handing out memorial tickets - Jul 04, 2009
- Californian Legislature Ratifies Bills In Response To The City Pay Scandal - Sep 01, 2010
- Southern Illinois in USA to have Hindu temple - Apr 20, 2011
- Samsung to build memory chip plant in China - Apr 11, 2012
- Lawsuit against Dr Dre dismissed - Mar 21, 2011
- MJ's memorial service to hit movie theatres in 20 US States - Jul 08, 2009
- Michael Jackson memorial tickets for sale - Jul 06, 2009
Tags: 4m, aeg live, angeles city, billion dollars, council officials, councilman, critical funds, dennis zine, dollar bill, emergency services, los angeles city council, michael jackson, mj, police officers, promoter, public safety, rips, staples center, tim leiweke, traffic control