Mithun’s Character Chopped Out Of New Agneepath, Solo-Hero Film Won’t Star AbhishekJuly 5th, 2010 - 12:33 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
July 5, 2010 (Sampurn Wire): You may think Abhishek is the first, last and natural choice to play Amitabh Bachchan’s role in a new-age remake of the 1990’s cult gangster film Agneepath. In fact it was presumed by a large section of the entertainment industry that Abhishek would play the eponymous part of Vijay Dinanath Chauvan while Jaya Bachchan will play Vijay’s mother, previously played by Rohini Hattangadi in the original directed by late Mukul Anand.
However, it has now come to light that Abhishek was never offered the lead in the Agneepath remake.
Says a source, “When the idea of remaking Agneepath came to Karan Johar, he had right away locked in on Hrithik Roshan. It was a commitment to the actor, who is very keen to give his own interpretation to the character. Hrithik will play it closer to Al Pacino in Scarface than Mr Bachchan in Agneepath”.
Agneepath was deeply influenced by Scarface. The new Agneepath, written and directed by debutant Karan Malhotra, purports to pay homage to Scarface.
While refusing to discuss the cast producer Karan Johar says, “All I can say at the moment is that my Agneepath is radically different from the Agneepath that my father (the late producer Yash Johar) had produced. We’ve completely done away with the South Indian character played by Mithun Chakraborty in the original”.
With that bit of information, Mithun’s dream of seeing his son Mimoh cast on the role he originally played also goes up in flames.
Karan Johar’s Agneepath would be a solo act featuring Roshan, who apparently will experiment with the rasping dialogue-delivery that Mr Bachchan had attempted in the original Agneepath.
Many thought it was his gravelly way of speaking in Agneepath that did the picture in. Hrithik is determined to prove all the self-appointed soothsayers wrong.
Says Karan, “My father was very proud of Agneepath. I hope, I don’t let him down with my Agneepath. Amitji had won the National award for Agneepath. It’s a tough act to follow for any actor”.
–Subhash K Jha/Sampurn Wire
- Hrithik, not Abhishek to star in 'Agneepath' remake - Jul 04, 2010
- Hrithik To Play Big B's Role In 'Agneepath' Remake - Jul 07, 2010
- It's Hrithik, not Abhishek in 'Agneepath' remake - Oct 20, 2010
- Hrithik And Priyanka To Do Agneepath Remake, Abhishek Out, Says Karan Johar - Oct 22, 2010
- Hrithik-Priyanka get passionate for 'Agneepath' - Jan 20, 2011
- My dream to make 'Agneepath' a hit: Karan Johar - Dec 16, 2010
- I wish Hrithik good luck for 'Agneepath' remake: Abhishek - Nov 27, 2010
- Hrithik eager to show 'Agneepath' to Big B - Jan 17, 2012
- Bigger villain leads to a bigger hero: Karan Malhotra - Dec 24, 2011
- 'Agneepath' will now release on Republic Day Jan 26 - Sep 16, 2011
- Rishi Kapoor insisted on look test for 'Agneepath' - Aug 29, 2011
- I am not a good actor: Hrithik Roshan - Jan 23, 2012
- 'Agneepath' a tribute, not a remake: Karan Johar - Aug 30, 2011
- My 'Agneepath' has little resemblance to original: Hrithik - Aug 30, 2011
- Twelve years on, 'Agneepath' returns in new avatar (IANS Preview) - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: abhishek, agneepath, al pacino, amitabh bachchan, entertainment industry, gangster film, hero film, homage, hrithik roshan, indian character, jaya bachchan, malhotra, mithun chakraborty, mr bachchan, mukul anand, natural choice, rohini hattangadi, scarface, solo act, soothsayers