Mischa Barton enrages Hindus over sitar cribbingJune 9th, 2009 - 2:47 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 9 (ANI): Actress Mischa Barton has enraged Hindus around the world, after she cribbed on her blog about not getting a sitar teacher in India.
The ex-O.C. star was recently in India for lensing ‘Bhopal: A Prayer for Rain’, and was hoping to visit Hindu temples and learn to play the sitar in between filming.
However, when her efforts to find a music teacher failed, she complained to fans and friends on her MySpace.com page.
“I must say my goal coming here was to learn to play the sitar and it’s coming along real slow as apparently it’s not that easy to procure a great sitar teacher here. I guess it’s not (the) late 60s with Ravi Shankar and George Harrison roaming around,” Contactmusic quoted her as saying in the post.
The 23-year-old actress’ comments have enraged leading scholars, who insist that Barton is being immature if she thinks sitar teachers sit on street corners and advertise tutorials on streetlamps.
U.S. Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, said: “India has an abundance of great sitar players. If Mischa could not procure a great sitar teacher in India, the chances of finding the teacher outside India would be even slimmer. Her comment was a very immature statement. It mocks the rich musical heritage of India.”
However, Hindus have also chosen to praise Barton for her interest in their culture.
Zed said: “I urge her to undertake a deeper study of Hinduism. If Mischa needs any assistance in her studies, I would be happy to assist.” (ANI)
- Actress Mischa Barton criticized for gripeing over not finding a sitar teacher in India - Jun 09, 2009
- Mischa Barton loving her masala chai and sitar lessons in India - Dec 31, 2008
- Catherine is perfect, says Mischa Barton - Aug 27, 2012
- Lady Gaga loves the sitar: Fateh Ali Khan (With Images) - Jun 03, 2012
- Amitabh to learn sitar, sarod - Mar 21, 2012
- Zed urges Hindus to take Vasant Panchami vow to help a needy child in education - Jan 31, 2011
- Mischa Barton still struggles with depression - Oct 14, 2010
- Hindus upset over mishandling of Hinduism in school textbooks in USA - Sep 05, 2010
- Amy Childs finally reacts to Joey Barton's comments - Nov 15, 2011
- Mischa to launch retro clothing range - Mar 02, 2012
- Mischa Barton likes to move around - Jul 07, 2012
- I've given up men: Mischa Barton - Jul 08, 2012
- Mischa Barton feels healthier than ever - Aug 11, 2012
- Mischa Barton splits from latest boyfriend - Sep 23, 2010
- UK's 2nd Hindu school to open next September - Nov 27, 2010
Tags: 60s, abundance, actress, bhopal, enrages, george harrison, heritage of india, hindu statesman, hindu temples, hinduism, hindus, immature statement, mischa barton, music teacher, musical heritage of india, rajan zed, ravi shankar, rich musical heritage, sitar players, street corners