‘Mirch’ Movie Review: Is Sexual Equality The Only Answer To Gender Equality?December 17th, 2010 - 5:16 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Director: Vinay Shukla
Cast: Konkona Sen Sharma, Raima Sen, Shreyas Talpade, Boman Irani, Shahana Goswami, Arunoday Singh, Rajpal Yadav, Mahie Gill, Sushant Singh
What can you say about a movie which has powerhouse performers like Konkona Sen Sharma and Boman Irani and an equally good director like Vinay Shukla, who being an actor himself knows the nuances of the profession. People who go by trailers and posters, wanting to watch Mirch only for the erotic content which has been promoted so far are in for a surprise. The director tries to raise the issue of gender equality through the sexual encounters that his female leads have in the film and therefore the story of Mirch too is framed that way.
However, the point where Vinay Shukla fails miserably is that he shows a female being equal to her male counterpart only where sex is concerned. Yes, we know that cheating is in a man’s blood, but Mirch shows women who very expertly cheat on their husbands and come out unscathed in the act.
The story is a combination of four films, the scripts of which have been penned by a budding filmmaker. This filmmaker takes inspiration from the fiction series Panchatantra to write stories which have sex and eroticism as their prime content. And it is through the sexual equality that Vinay Shukla has tried to deal with the issue of gender equality through Mirch.
- Mirch Movie Review: Be Careful Of The Contemporary Woman! - Dec 10, 2010
- Mirch Movie Review: Watch The Modern Woman Taking Charge Of Her Own Sex Life - Dec 09, 2010
- Box office promises fun unlimited with comedies (IANS Preview) - Dec 06, 2010
- Third iView film fest in New York high on Indian movies - Aug 20, 2010
- 'Mirch' a celebration of womanhood: Director (Interview) - Dec 15, 2010
- iView Film Festival in New York Will Start and End With Indian Movies - Aug 23, 2010
- 'Mirch' about politics of sex (IANS Movie Review - Rating: ***) - Dec 17, 2010
- Raima Sen: Why is She Worried About Her Mother Watching Her Film Mirch? - Dec 10, 2010
- Mahie Gill faints on sets of 'Mirch' (With Images) - Sep 21, 2009
- I'm all for glamorous roles: Raima Sen - Apr 17, 2010
- Arunoday Singh says he is fearless (With Images) - Jul 23, 2012
- Raima's Bong connection - Jun 03, 2009
- I'm not offered wicked roles: Konkona Sen (Interview) - Dec 18, 2010
- I Enjoy Playing A Wicked Woman: Konkona Sen Sharma - Dec 18, 2010
- I'm glad I'm not offered bikini roles: Raima Sen (Interview) - Sep 15, 2010
Tags: being an actor, boman irani, erotic content, eroticism, fiction series, four films, good director, goswami, konkona sen sharma, male counterpart, nuances, powerhouse, prime content, raima sen, rajpal yadav, sexual encounters, sexual equality, shahana, Shreyas Talpade, sushant singh