Minaj doesn’t want to be poor againApril 22nd, 2012 - 4:07 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, April 22 (IANS) Rapper Nicki Minaj says her tough childhood made her
determined to be successful in her career as she didn’t want to see poverty again.
The 29-year-old singer says she grew up with an abusive father and sans material possessions. But she has no regrets as she believes her upbringing made her achieve success with a vengeance.
“In the business, you have to be used to really having all the doors closed. So when you have a childhood where you are used to being told ‘no’ and you’re used to not being able to get the best Christmas gifts, you are accustomed to not always getting what you want. But then you become accustomed to working for it,” contactmusic.com quoted Minaj as saying.
The singer says she never wants to be poor again in life.
“I never want to go back to being poor. Once you have a taste of that you will always be driven. I know what that felt like and I don’t want to feel it ever again. So yeah, I mean my childhood was crazy but it got me to the point where I had so much faith in whatever I was doing.”
“I just always feel where there’s a will there’s a way and I live my entire life that way now,” she added.
Minaj also believes her childhood made her mentally strong enough to cope with the pressures of fame.
“If you are born with a silver spoon in your mouth and you come into this business you’re going to get let down a lot. And it will probably send you crazy. This is only for the mentally strong. If you’re not then it’s not going to work,” she said.
- Eve scolds Nicki Minaj - Apr 10, 2012
- Minaj warns fathers against substance abuse - Nov 30, 2010
- Nicki Minaj motivated by mother - Apr 26, 2011
- Nicki Minaj laughs off rumours of a lesbian relationship with Rihanna - Jan 16, 2011
- Minaj wants baby in five years - May 11, 2012
- Nicki Minaj to launch nail polish range - Oct 24, 2011
- Rich men are a turn-off: Nicki Minaj - Oct 22, 2011
- Nicki Minaj opens up about her turbulent childhood - Jan 28, 2011
- Donatella Versace loves Lady Gaga - Nov 09, 2011
- Nicki Minaj hated part-time jobs - Aug 08, 2011
- Minaj's childhood phobia - Oct 21, 2011
- Nicki Minaj wants to have kids - Mar 23, 2012
- Minaj not ready for kids - Apr 23, 2012
- Nicki Minaj wants to be an author - Mar 14, 2012
- Kissing Madonna was good: Minaj - Dec 10, 2011