Michele wants an end to medical research on apesMay 30th, 2011 - 3:00 am ICT by IANS
London, May 30 (IANS) “Glee” star Lea Michele has written a letter to US officials to call for an end to medical research carried out on chimpanzees at a laboratory in Texas.
Michelle has penned a letter to chiefs at America’s National Institute of Health in a bid to save the apes.
“As an animal protection advocate, I implore you to help 14 chimpanzees who were recently moved to a notorious Texas laboratory, where they are being used in harmful experiments.
“These chimpanzees had already been subjected to invasive research for decades before finally getting a break in 2001. They were safe in a facility in New Mexico - until the federal government suddenly decided to put these incredibly intelligent animals back into lab cages,” dailystar.co.uk quoted the 24-year-old as saying.
“Chimpanzee experimentation raises some obvious ethical issues, and there are also clear scientific problems. That’s why most countries around the world no longer permit harmful research on chimpanzees.
“I am joining the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in asking you to return these 14 chimpanzees to the Alamogordo Primate Facility, where they will not be used in invasive experiments,” she added.
- 'Promiscuous' chimps produce more sperm - Feb 17, 2011
- Retire old monkeys, urges Anderson; animals fine, says AIIMS (Lead) - Feb 19, 2011
- Retire aging monkeys, Pamela Anderson urges AIIMS - Feb 19, 2011
- Chimpanzees have personalities like us - May 24, 2012
- PETA demands AIIMS release lab animals - Apr 28, 2011
- Ape injures girl after escaping from zoo - Jul 16, 2012
- Lea Michele talks about Britney's Cameo in Glee - Aug 30, 2010
- Primates better adapted to environmental changes - Dec 03, 2010
- PETA to protest outside AIIMS for release of animals - Mar 04, 2011
- Lea Michele is single - Sep 21, 2011
- 'Glee' Star Lea Michele's "Top Secret" Photos Got Leaked - Nov 11, 2010
- AIIMS improves animal care facilities - Jun 15, 2011
- Glee Star Lea Michele To Sing During Super Bowl Pre-Game Festivities - Jan 29, 2011
- New EU legislation to reduce the number of animals used in scientific experiments - Sep 08, 2010
- Michele's love for vegan lasagne - Aug 21, 2011
Tags: alamogordo, animal protection, apes, chiefs, chimpanzee, chimpanzees, countries around the world, ethical issues, glee, institute of health, intelligent animals, invasive experiments, invasive research, lea michele, medical research, national institute of health, new mexico, physicians committee for responsible medicine, primate, texas laboratory