Michael Sheen recalls rejection daysOctober 31st, 2011 - 6:28 am ICT by IANS
London, Oct 31 (IANS) Actor Michael Sheen says that inspite of being a good actor, he was initially rejected from movie roles because the bosses wanted a bigger name to attract audiences.
“I was going up for films, it was just audition after audition, and people would say, ‘Well, you’re the best actor we’ve seen, you’re perfect for this part - but the studio needs a bigger actor, they need a bigger name.’ So there was a lot of that for a period of time,” femalefirst.co.uk quoted the 42-year-old as saying.
Sheen, who has a 12-year-old daughter, Lily, with ex-girlfriend Kate Beckinsale, also revealed that how things changed and he started getting bigger roles when he decided to quit from showbiz.
“It was always sort of a weird combination where Kate sort of felt - she’d never gone to drama school, so she felt like I was doing very worthy work, and she felt unworthy at times - which was never true.
“But on the other hand I felt like, ‘Oh I wish I was having more success in film.’ So that was quite frustrating. And actually it was only once I said right, that’s it, I’m going to forget about a film career and just do what I do, then almost immediately it happened,” he added.
- Beckinsale won't mind doing a nude scene - Dec 11, 2011
- Love scenes more awkward for Colin: Beckinsale - Aug 21, 2012
- Beckinsale worried about daughter's future boyfriends - Jul 23, 2012
- Michael Sheen too busy for a social life - Sep 19, 2010
- I'm no one-film wonder: Alia Bhatt - Sep 07, 2012
- Beckinsale's dressing hassles - Dec 22, 2011
- Beckinsale's daughter not affected by her stardom - Aug 30, 2012
- Beckinsale dislikes portraying weak women - Jul 31, 2012
- Beckinsale, a careful mother - Jul 26, 2012
- Acting is exhausting: Kate Beckinsale - Aug 08, 2012
- Rachel McAdams, Michael Sheen to marry? - Apr 22, 2012
- Beckinsale is the director at home! - Aug 05, 2012
- Mom's remarriage upset Beckinsale - Jul 30, 2012
- Kate Winslet gives tips to bare-all on screen - Sep 05, 2010
- Beckinsale was reluctant to return on 'Underworld' - Dec 25, 2011
Tags: actor michael sheen, audiences, best actor, daughter lily, drama school, ex girlfriend, film career, films, girlfriend kate, inspite, kate beckinsale, london, oct 31, period of time, rejection, showbiz, weird combination, worthy work