Michael Phelps gives kids clues to becoming swimming champsAugust 29th, 2008 - 1:42 pm ICT by ANI
New York, August 29 (ANI): Olympic golden boy Michael Phelps left children at the New York YMCA spellbound when he swam with them, and taught them some tricks to be a champ.
“I was speechless. It was amazing,” the New York Daily News quoted Valentina Monroy, 16, as saying, moments after she received a pep talk from Phelps.
Every movement of the 14-time gold medalist in the pool brought choruses of “ooh’’s” and “ah’’s” from the children in the water.
“Meeting him was like waking up from a dream and finding out it’’s real,” Erica Flear, 9, said from inside the pool.
She also received some important lessons from Phelps on how to become a good swimmer.
“Try to hold your breath as much as possible and don”t give up,” she said, while telling what she learnt from the swimming maestro.
Phelps appeared at the YMCA to present a check of 20,000 dollars from Visa to support youth swimming programs. (ANI)
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympics: Dana Vollmer sets world record in women's 100m butterfly - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Phelps reveals future: Working with kids and swimming with sharks - Aug 06, 2012
- Late burst gives Phelps 100m butterfly gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Diver hurt at Commonwealth Games swimming complex - Jul 27, 2010
- Thane schoolgirl drowns in Lonavala school pool - Jun 04, 2012
- Phelps retiring at right time: Soviet gymnast Latynina - Aug 03, 2012
- Can Olympic champion Phelps continue where he left off? - Jul 22, 2009
- Michael Phelps surrounded by bikini-clad girls at Las Vegas pool party - Apr 19, 2011
- Swimmer Ann Curtis dies - Jul 27, 2012
- Swimming in indoor pools could increase cancer risk - Sep 13, 2010
- Phelps guns for Thorpe, wants to reverse result of 2004 Athens Games - Feb 13, 2011