Michael Moore Sues Weinstein Brothers Over “Fahrenheit 9/11″

February 8th, 2011 - 8:22 pm ICT by GD  

By Gina Gomez
mooreFeb 8, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Renowned filmmaker and author Michael Moore filed a law suit against producers Bob Weinstein and Harvey Weinstein in Los Angeles Superior Court alleging that the brothers had cheated him near about $2.7 million in profit from the political documentary “Fahrenheit 9/11″. The documentary was released in 2004 and it became a cultural phenomenon within a short time. The movie, reportedly, grossed around $222 million and the ace filmmaker said that the Weinstein brothers deprived him of his share of profit and illegally kept the money with them.

In the lawsuit, which was filed on Monday, the filmmaker stated that previously Michael Moore and Fellowship Adventure Group agreed that they would split 50-50 profits from “Fahrenheit 9/11″ but in reality it did not happen in that way. In the lawsuit, Michael Moore accused Bob Weinstein and Harvey Weinstein for breach of contract, fraud claims and also breach of fiduciary duty. The “Bowling for Columbine” director said that in 2008, he found out that there were many “irregularities” in the accounting and he was subjected to “gross underpayment”. The lawsuit stated that the irregularities in the monetary transaction include deduction of $2.5 million in revenue secretly and also there was an illegal transaction of $1.2 million. Michael Moore claimed that all these transactions were “grossly excessive and unreasonable”.

On the other hand, the Weinstein brothers’ lawyer Bert Fields rubbished all the claims and told a reputed media source that “the Weinsteins” have paid every bit of money they should have given to Michael Moore. He also added that he feels the director is “overreacting” and he should feel ashamed of his behavior. Bart Fields said that Michale Moore’s lawsuit and his claims are “absolute baloney”.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Entertainment |

Subscribe