Michael Douglas may lose his voice in cancer battleAugust 18th, 2010 - 1:08 pm ICT by ANI
London, August 18 (ANI): Michael Douglas may loose his voice after the treatment for throat cancer, doctors have warned.
The 65-year-old is to begin an aggressive course of radiation and chemotherapy to destroy the tumour.
Douglas, husband of British actress Catherine Zeta Jones, is said to be “optimistic” the treatment will succeed.
He will have eight weeks of radiation, and chemotherapy.
But the treatment has been known to affect the larynx, said Dr Kenneth Hu of New York’s Beth Israel Medical Centre.
“You wouldn’t treat a benign tumour with radiation, so most definitely this is a malignant tumour,” the Sun quoted Dr Eric Genden, chief of head and neck cancer surgery at Mount Sinai Medical Centre, as saying.
Years of smoking and drinking are thought to have caused the cancer.
The Oscar-winner has cancelled all engagements for two months, including promoting new film ‘Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps.’ (ANI)
- Douglas may lose voice: Doctor - Aug 18, 2010
- Michael Douglas Is Optimistic About His Recovery From Throat Cancer - Aug 17, 2010
- Michael Douglas To Undergo Chemotherapy For Throat Tumor - Aug 17, 2010
- Catherine Zeta Jones' agony over Michael Douglas's throat cancer - Sep 05, 2010
- Catherine Zeta Jones 'received treatment for manic depression' - Apr 14, 2011
- 'Douglas didn't collapse' - Nov 12, 2010
- Michael Douglas Joins 'Stand Up 2 Cancer' - Sep 03, 2010
- Michael Douglas says smoking and booze game him throat cancer - Sep 03, 2010
- Michael Douglas to undergo chemo for throat tumour - Aug 17, 2010
- Chemotherapy limits my day, says Michael Douglas - Sep 10, 2010
- Zeta-Jones checks into mental health facility - Apr 14, 2011
- Michael's feeling 'feisty', says father Kirk Douglas - Nov 25, 2010
- Proud of Zeta-Jones for seeking help: Demi Lovato - Apr 15, 2011
- Stress triggers Catherine Zeta-Jones's bipolar disorder - Apr 16, 2011
- Michael Douglas' health raises concerns - Oct 05, 2010
Tags: aggressive course, benign tumour, beth israel medical, british actress, cancer battle, cancer doctors, catherine zeta jones, chemotherapy, dr eric, dr kenneth, head and neck cancer, larynx, malignant tumour, medical centre, michael douglas, mount sinai medical, neck cancer surgery, new film, oscar winner, throat cancer