Michael Corleone Meets Rajiv Gandhi In Ranbir Kapoor’s RoleApril 22nd, 2009 - 10:15 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
By Subhash K Jha
Ranbir Kapoor plays an NRI forced to return home to take over the family business(in this case, politics) . Sounds familiar? Abhishek Bachchan played a similar role in Ram Gopal Varma’s Sarkar.
And both characters are inspired by Al Pacino’s Don Corleone in Francis Coppla’s The Godfather. Ranbir of course plays a mixture of Rajiv Gandhi and Don Corleone in Rajneeti.
And as coincidence would have it both Abhishek and Ranbir had Katrina as their co-star, but with a difference. In Sarkar Katrina’s anglicized voice had to be dubbed although she played an NRI and could’ve easily used her accented voice for the character. In Rajneeti Katrina gives long speeches in shudh Hindi all in her own voice.
Katrina Kaif’s two-minute speech in front of a 10,000-strong attentive public at a public rally in Bhopal for Rajneeti , has whetted Ranbir Kapoor’s appetite for getting right the speeches that need he needs to deliver for Prakash Jha’s film when he starts shooting in August.
There’s just one hitch. Ranbir doesn’t need to learn shuddh hindi , like Katrina did. He already knows that. He needs to cultivate an accent to sound like an America-returned Delhi boy who suddenly needs to go from monosyllabic rashtra bhasha to full-speeches.
Prakash Jha has planned intense reading and speech therapy sessions for Ranbir for him to get the accented Hindustani right.
To play a Harvard –educated US-based NRI who must suddenly return home to look after his mother’s political empire Ranbir Kapoor ina role that Al Pacino would have liked to play, is not just all set to start shooting, he’s raring to go.
Ranbir won’t play the reluctant politician in the usual khadi kurta-pyjama dress code. “Ranbir will be very trendily dressed. He plays a young man of today,” informs the director.
Apparently the character is a mix of Rajiv Ganghi and Michael Corloene from Francis Ford Coppola’s The Godfather.
Ranbir who joins the cast in August has been regularly calling and talking to the the entire cast in Bhopal.
Says Prakash affectionately, “He even offered to leave whatever he was doing and join us in Bhopal although his shooting starts next month. I remember one day Ajay, Nana, Arjun, Manoj were working together and missing Ranbir. So in the evening we got together in my hotel room and called him. Ranbir spoke to each of us individually. He wanted to leave everything in Mumbai and join us Bhopal.”
Prakash starts workshops with Ranbir after the Lok Sabha elections.
Says Prakash, “Ranbir is so excited about his look , dialogues. He needs to play a character who defines democracy in today’s world. I wouldn’t describe it as a multi-starrer. It’s a multi-actor film.Katrina Kaif is such a revelation. She was so nervous giving a speech in front of 10,000 people. After she gave her speech I hugged her on stage and shouted out to the junta, “Bhopal ka ticket de de kya?’ As for Naseer if I hadn’t worked with him I wouldn’t have been a complete filmmaker.” -Sampurn Media
- Ranbir's role defines democracy in today's world: Prakash Jha - Apr 23, 2009
- Chocolate boy to desi Corleone, Kapoor scion grows up - Jun 10, 2010
- Ranbir-Katrina to promote Rajneeti in colleges - Mar 22, 2010
- The Way the Actors Are Linked By the Media Makes Me Wonder Whether I Am Working in 'Film' Industry or 'Dating' Industry! - Katrina Kaif - Apr 30, 2010
- 'Rajneeti' is much more than politics: Katrina Kaif - Apr 28, 2010
- Nana Patekar embarrasses Ranbir Kapoor - Apr 07, 2010
- 'Rajneeti' has no resemblance to real life politicians: Prakash Jha - Nov 27, 2009
- As a filmmaker I do not believe in showing solutions to problems because I am not God. - May 28, 2010
- 'Raajneeti' is my most complete film: Prakash Jha - Apr 04, 2010
- 'Raajneeti' sequel is brilliant: Katrina - Aug 09, 2012
- Rajneeti flags off final campaign. - May 10, 2010
- Al Pacino says he was almost fired from 'The Godfather' - Dec 08, 2010
- Katrina's National Award dreams - Jan 23, 2010
- Katrina Kaif: Can Rajneeti Bring Her The First Filmfare Award? - Dec 22, 2010
- Ravi Khemu Feels That He Is Genetically Connected To Katrina! - Jun 23, 2010
Tags: abhishek bachchan, al pacino, anglicized, coppla, don corleone, francis ford coppola, ganghi, katrina kaif, khadi kurta, michael corleone, minute speech, prakash jha, public rally, rajiv gandhi, ram gopal varma, ranbir kapoor, sarkar, speech therapy, subhash k jha, therapy sessions