Mia Farrow vows to go on hunger strike to protest Darfur genocideApril 22nd, 2009 - 5:39 pm ICT by ANI
New York, April 22 (ANI): Activist and actress Mia Farrow has plans to go on a three-week hunger strike to protest the ongoing genocide in Darfur.
The 64-year-old said that her doctors and kids are anxious about the water-only diet she’ll start on Monday.
“I’ve had to reassure them that I have no intention of dying,” the New York Daily News quoted her as saying.
“I have a doctor I can call if things go south or I can’t go any further,” Farrow said of her fast.
“I honestly have no idea what to expect since I’ve never done anything remotely like this. Even talking about it now, I want to eat a fistful of Easter eggs,” she added.
Farrow was moved to begin the hunger strike after looking at the humanitarian crisis in the Sudan region she has visited 11 times since 2004.
In March, Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir made the crisis worse by expelling charitable groups - including Oxfam, CARE and Doctors Without Borders - in retaliation for his indictment by the International Criminal Court. (ANI)
- Mia Farrow to share hunger strike experience online - Apr 29, 2009
- Mia Farrow's son joins her in hunger strike - May 02, 2009
- Mia Farrow bulks up to prepare for starvation stunt - Apr 24, 2009
- Obama has done nothing for Darfur people, says Mia Farrow - Apr 28, 2009
- George Clooney Stands For A Peaceful Referendum In Sudan - Oct 15, 2010
- Actor George Clooney among arrested in Sudan protest - Mar 18, 2012
- Sudan president aims for South Sudan's liberation - Apr 19, 2012
- Mia Farrow getting medical check-ups to appease worried pals, family - May 06, 2009
- Mia Farrow 'disappointed' over not being able to finish 21-day fast - May 12, 2009
- Mia Farrow's brother Patrick found dead - Jun 17, 2009
- Clooney pays tribute to Mia Farrow for her activism - Apr 29, 2009
- Sudan's President Bashir transferred '$9bn in UK banks': Wikileaks - Dec 18, 2010
- Sudan's president warns protesters of 'incinerating summer' - Jul 12, 2012
- ICC issues arrest warrant for Sudanese minister - Mar 02, 2012
- Darfur biggest failure of my life: Clooney - Sep 02, 2010
Tags: activist, actress, charitable groups, darfur, doctors without borders, easter eggs, genocide in darfur, humanitarian crisis, hunger strike, indictment, intention, international criminal court, mia farrow, new york daily news, omar al bashir, oxfam, retaliation, sudan, sudanese president, york daily news