Mexico’s `Miss Bala’ entered in Toronto film festivalAugust 18th, 2011 - 11:39 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Aug 18 (IANS/EFE) Mexican director Gerardo Naranjo’s “Miss Bala” will be shown at the Toronto International Film Festival, which will screen 300 movies, production company Canana Films said.
“Miss Bala” tells the story of Laura, a young Mexican woman who dreams of becoming Miss Baja California but is trapped in the world of drug trafficking.
The film will compete in the Contemporary World Cinema category, Canana Films said in a statement.
“Miss Bala”, whose star is professional model Stephanie Sigman, was shown at the Cannes Film Festival and will now compete at the Toronto film festival, which runs from Sep 8-18.
The movie was produced by Canana Films, a company founded by Mexican stars Diego Luna and Gael Garcia, in association with FOX Internacional Productions.
Gerardo Naranjo is returning to Toronto four years after screening his film “Drama/mex” at the festival.
“It received an excellent reaction at that time from the press and helped him to participate in other international film events,” Canana Films said.
The Toronto International Film Festival is considered the world’s fourth most important film event after Cannes, Berlin and Venice, and it is also considered a good barometer for the Oscars.
- Film must talk about violence: Mexican actor - Sep 09, 2011
- Spanish singer honoured for gay rights work - Mar 06, 2012
- Actor Garcia Bernal prefers comedy - Feb 16, 2012
- Mexican director's debut film competes at Tokyo festival - Oct 24, 2011
- Mexican film fest begins Monday in Hong Kong - May 02, 2011
- 'Gangs of Wasseypur' set for world premiere at Cannes - Apr 24, 2012
- Cuban zombie film to premiere at Toronto film fest - Aug 04, 2011
- 'Peddlers' heads to Toronto film fest - Aug 01, 2012
- What made the cut at Cannes 2011 (With Cannes story) - Apr 15, 2011
- Mexican wrestler blocks film's release over nudity - Mar 31, 2011
- Vasan Bala's 'Peddlers' selected for Cannes Critics' Week - Apr 24, 2012
- `Ticket to Paradise' takes top prize at Havana Film Fest New York - Apr 17, 2011
- Now, 'Gattu' going to Germany - Jun 25, 2012
- 'Peddlers' team in customs hassle - May 31, 2012
- Musician lived in obscurity not knowing he was star abroad - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: bala, canana films, cannes film festival, contemporary world cinema, diego luna, drug trafficking, efe, film drama, film event, gael garcia, gerardo, international film events, international film festival, mexican director, mexican woman, naranjo, professional model, sigman, toronto film festival, toronto international film festival