Men above 40, whether rich or poor, will find young wivesMay 23rd, 2008 - 5:34 pm ICT by admin
Sydney, May 23 (ANI): Its not just loaded older men who find young beautiful wives, for even their poor counterparts can turn out to be lucky.
According to a new US research, the older a man is when he marries after 40, the greater the likelihood that his bride will be significantly younger - whether that man is wealthy and educated or not.
“If you look at guys who do marry, the poor guys marry down in age just as much as the rich guys do,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Paula England, a Stanford University sociologist and co-author of the study, as saying.
“That was kind of surprising to us, she added.
Men in their 40s tend to marry women who average seven years younger, and men in their 50s are marrying brides who average 11 years younger, according to England’s research. And men in the 60s? They tend to marry women who are 13 years younger.
“In first marriages, men are typically a couple years older than women,” England said.
But the older men are when they marry, and it doesn’t matter whether it’s a first or a second marriage, the more years they marry down, she added.
England and research partner Elizabeth McClintock of Stanford partially explain their findings as due to major alterations of the family structure following the tumult of the 1960s. But they especially point to “a double standard of aging.”
They say the male ideal of beauty is found in women in their early 20s, and that ideal remains fixed for men no matter that they themselves are growing older.
“Women may be a little more indifferent to age than men are because they are not judging people as much on looks, she added. (ANI)
- Women may not hesitate marrying low income men - Apr 08, 2012
- When men outnumber women, females marry younger - Sep 16, 2010
- UK divorce rate statistics show Wills, Kate have better chance at marriage - Apr 29, 2011
- Young man, older woman: Relationship rules changing - Nov 08, 2011
- Cougars die young, but sugar daddies live longer - May 17, 2010
- Oz men 'don't like to date women much younger than them' - Aug 19, 2010
- India's cougar couples: When a man loves an older woman - Dec 07, 2010
- Women take longer to deliver babies than 50 years ago - Apr 01, 2012
- Cuddling vital for long-term happiness among couples - Jul 05, 2011
- Keep smiling to look young - Nov 11, 2011
- Botox brides! To wed, 30 plus women visit cosmetic clinics - Dec 04, 2010
- Antidepressants 'do not cure all depression symptoms completely' - Apr 22, 2011
- Anti-depressants help but may rob you of sleep - Apr 21, 2011
- Why 'men like blonde bombshells' and 'most suicide bombers are Muslim' - Dec 01, 2010
- Women will be more fertile in 40s, says study - Jul 23, 2010
Tags: 11 years, 13 years, 40s, alterations, co author, counterparts, elizabeth mcclintock, likelihood, male ideal, morning herald, older men, older women, paula england, research partner, second marriage, stanford university, sydney morning herald, tumult, university sociologist, young wives