Mel Gibson’s wife files for divorceApril 14th, 2009 - 11:46 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, April 14 (DPA) The wife of actor and producer Mel Gibson has filed for divorce after 28 years of marriage, the website TMZ.com reported Monday.
Gibson confirmed the divorce filing later in the day in a statement issued through his publicist.
“Throughout our marriage and separation we have always strived to maintain the privacy and integrity of our family and will continue to do so,” said Gibson, 53.
Robyn Gibson filed the divorce papers last week citing irreconcilable differences. The couple has seven children, but only one is a minor, Tom, 10.
According to TMZ.com, the couple did not have a prenuptial agreement, so under California law all property and assets will be split evenly. Gibson’s wealth has been estimated as high as $900 million.
According to court papers, Robyn Gibson is seeking joint physical and legal custody of Tom, spousal support and attorneys’ fees.
In his response to the divorce filing, Gibson gave the date of the couple’s separation as August 2006. That was shortly after his infamous arrest for drunk driving and his subsequent anti-Jewish tirade against his arresting officer.
- Gibson loses half fortune in divorce settlement - Dec 24, 2011
- Mena Suvari files for divorce - Jan 16, 2012
- Mel Gibson's wife files for divorce - Apr 14, 2009
- Arquette files for divorce from Cox - Jun 13, 2012
- Ex-wife gets huge cut in Gibson's retirement package - Sep 06, 2012
- A Tale of Divorce: Mel Gibson, Robyn, And An Amicable Ending - Apr 09, 2010
- Kenny G files for divorce - Aug 14, 2012
- Gibson wants new judge to hear divorce case - Apr 18, 2009
- Ben Harper files for divorce from wife of 5 years - Oct 11, 2010
- 'Cheating' Christina Aguilera files for divorce - Oct 15, 2010
- Dennis Quaid's wife files for divorce - Mar 11, 2012
- Heidi Klum, Seal divorcing? - Jan 22, 2012
- Gibson accused of threatening step mother - Jul 04, 2012
- 'Dexter' star Jennifer Carpenter files for divorce from co-star Michael C. Hall - Dec 17, 2010
- Cox, Arquette seek smooth divorce - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: 28 years, april 14, assets, attorneys, california law, divorce papers, drunk driving, integrity, irreconcilable differences, legal custody, marriage, mel gibson, prenuptial agreement, publicist, robyn gibson, spousal support, tirade against, tmz