Mel Gibson happy about co-joined twins who turned 10 recentlyAugust 9th, 2011 - 11:17 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Aug 9 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Mel Gibson had something to cheer about after a long spell of controversies lately when the Guatemalan twins who were joined in the head turned 10 years. The news of the twins was widely reported in the news but what was not made known at that time was the contribution that Gibson made.
According to CBS’s The Early Show, Gibson and his family played vital role but making financial contribution towards the surgery which was carried out at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in 2002. The operation lasted 23 hours and it was very delicate one because the twins shared several things including sensitive blood vessels.
The twins currently live with different adopted families but they get to see each other every week. They are called Josie and Teresita and the role played by Gibson has brought him closer to the family. The two girls had their birthday party and the party was attended by the actor.
The twins currently live in the United States because they are required to be supervised closely as they grow. The surgery in 2002 was hailed as a medical breakthrough but when the twins returned to their home country of Guatemala, one of them contracted meningitis and had to be rushed back to the United States.
- Hand transplant patient speaks about her experience - Apr 20, 2011
- US mom receives revolutionary hand transplant surgery - Apr 20, 2011
- Zsa Zsa Gabor to undergo hip replacement surgery - Jul 19, 2010
- Zsa Zsa Gabor To Undergo Partial Leg Amputation - Jan 03, 2011
- Legendary Basketball Coach And Player John Wooden Dead - Jun 05, 2010
- Ron Reagan Speaks About Father Ronald Reagan's Alzheimer's Disease In His New Book - Jan 15, 2011
- Zsa Zsa Gabor refuses second leg amputation - Mar 05, 2011
- Zsa Zsa Gabor back home after amputation - Jan 23, 2011
- Gabor rushed to hospital again - Mar 03, 2011
- Nancy Reagan Celebrates Ronald Reagan's 100th Birthday - Feb 07, 2011
- Mel Gibson goes off to Guatemala for charity work - Mar 08, 2011
- Sarah Palin not like my dad at all, says Ronald Reagan's son - Feb 05, 2011
- 'Reagan's place in history as a tax cutter nothing more than false mythology' - Feb 05, 2011
- Nancy Reagan stumbles at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library - Aug 24, 2011
- Actress Zsa Zsa Undergoing Medical Procedure To Insert Feeding Tube - Jul 30, 2010
Tags: 10 years, birthday party, blood vessels, cbs, co joined twins, controversies, country of guatemala, early show, guatemalan twins, medical breakthrough, mel gibson, ronald reagan, two girls, ucla medical center, united states