Meet Vidya Balan’s hero in ‘Kahaani’March 13th, 2012 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 13 (IANS) On seeing Sujoy Ghosh’s stunning Kolkata-based suspense-drama “Kahaani” your attention is immediately caught by quietly accomplished Bengali actor Parambrata Chatterjee, who plays Vidya Balan’s saviour in the film.
Parambrata, Param to friends, plays Vidya’s distressed spouse-searching character’s cop-saviour who breaks protocol, rules and conventions to get her to her goal and somewhere down the line becomes subtly attracted to her.
Parambrata conveys his growing affection for his leading lady with a silent eloquence.
So yes, Parambrata is the hero of “Kahaani”.
“Wrong! ‘Kahaani’ already has two heroes, Vidya and Kolkata. I’m the film’s heroine,” he quips mischievously from Shanti Niketan where he’s shooting his new Bengali film as mobs threaten to disrupt the shooting.
Last year’s Bangla superhit “Baise Shrabon”, which starred Prosenjeet and Parambrata, became a blockbuster and turned the latter into a Kolkata superstar.
Now “Kahaani”, hopes Parambrata, would make him a familiar figure in Bollywood, though he admits he’s happy being a star in West Bengal and doesn’t crave for acceptance in Bollywood.
How the role in “Kahaani” happened makes an interesting story.
“I was abroad in Amsterdam with my girlfriend when I received a call from Mumbai. Before I could introduce himself to Sujoy Ghosh, he showered the choicest expletives on me asking me to return to India to start shooting for his film. He had seen my work in Anjan Datta’s ‘Bong Connection’ and felt I was right for the role,” he said.
“From Amsterdam, I was supposed to go with my girl to Paris and Rome. Paris, I couldn’t wriggle out of. But Rome I cancelled and returned to India for ‘Kahaani’. That’s my kahaani,” he added admitting that he had to work hard on his Hindi, but not so hard on establishing a rapport with Vidya.
“You know, by a strange coincidence Vidya and I both did our first film ‘Bhalo Theko’ in Bengali, together. We hadn’t met since then. But the minute we were together for ‘Kahaani’, it was just like old times. Vidya is a huge star but absolutely hassle free. She takes her work dead seriously. But is a bundle of fun off camera,” he said.
Parambrata is in a long-distance relationship with a Dutch girl.
“Her name is Ike Schouten. And we’ve been seeing each other for two years. She spends some months of the year with me in Kolkata. And I fly down as frequently as possible. Ike is too kicked about ‘Kahaani’, not only because I’m in it but because it was shot in Kolkata. She can show all the places that he loves in Kolkata to her friends in the Netherlands.”
- Amitabh croons 'Ekla...' for 'Kahaani', promotes it on Twitter, blog - Jan 12, 2012
- Sujoy Ghosh wants Vidya, Big B in next - Apr 04, 2012
- Vidya should avoid pitfall of doing central parts: Shabana - Mar 21, 2012
- Vidya true successor of Aamir: Kashyap (Movie Snippets) - Mar 11, 2012
- A rare film that can claim to be a game-changer (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Mar 08, 2012
- 'Aladdin' flopped as I failed to tell a story: Sujoy Ghosh - Feb 10, 2012
- Vidya's 'Kahaani' enters third week, still going strong - Mar 24, 2012
- Single screen theatres resurface to tell Vidya's 'Kahaani' - Apr 03, 2012
- Wrong to exploit Mr. Bachchan's love: Sujoy Ghosh - Feb 08, 2012
- Will Vidya stike gold again with 'Kahaani'? (IANS Preview) - Mar 05, 2012
- It's vacation time for Farhan Akhtar (Movie Snippets) - Jun 12, 2012
- Vidya wants to work with Hrithik, SRK - May 16, 2012
- Kamalika Banerjee In Sujoy Ghosh's Next - Nov 12, 2010
- Playing pregnant woman was cakewalk for Vidya - Jan 11, 2012
- Vidya played choosy before saying yes for 'Kahaani' - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: anjan, bangla, bengali film, blockbuster, chatterjee, datta, eloquence, expletives, ghosh, interesting story, leading lady, mobs, paris and rome, saviour, strange coincidence, superhit, suspense drama, two heroes, vidya balan, west bengal