Meet the woman who inspired Lady GagaFebruary 22nd, 2010 - 3:24 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 22 (ANI): ‘Poker Face’ singer Lady Gaga’s outrageous outfits and crazy hairstyles have been attributed to a woman friend of hers, who is also her mentor.
New York party fixture and go-go dancing DJ, Lady Starlight, revealed how she created many of her over-the-top outfits and persuaded Lady Gaga to parade around on stage in skimpy PVC undies and Indian headdresses.
“It’s crazy knowing that the biggest star in the world was inspired by me,” the Mirror quoted Starlight, real name Colleen Martin, as saying.
“But I was the one who told her to take her trousers off because I rarely wore any myself. She’s always been so great on talking about me.
“Giving credit where it’s due rarely happens in the music industry, but Gaga has always done that and I’m very grateful for that,” she said.
The two had met and become friends on Gaga’s 20th birthday, and they teamed up and named their act Lady Gaga and the Starlight Review, wearing tiny bikini tops and sequinned knickers.
Starlight, now 34, taught Gaga, real name Stefanie Germanotta, how to make over-the-top outfits.
“The outfits were quite often stuck together with glue. Sometimes they held up and sometimes they fell apart on stage. We always wanted the flashiest garments possible… and to be as naked as possible,” Starlight said.
“She was already working on her album and a lot of what’s on The Fame were songs that we’ve performed.
“As I’m 11 years older than Gaga, I do see myself as her mentor. And I know that my love of all things British must have rubbed off on her,” she stated.
Lady Gaga has also spoken fondly about their friendship, recalling times they spent together.
“Lady Starlight and I would spin vinyl in my apartment, sewing our bikinis for the show and listening to David Bowie and the New York Dolls,” Gaga said.
Starlight, who is still DJing and appearing at clubs with Gaga’s ex Luc Carl, says she doesn’t care that she has been left behind.
“My style, performance art and DJing inspired her persona. Now she’s gone on to become a global phenomenon and I’m so proud,” she added. (ANI)
- When 'raunchy' Lady Gaga was frumpy - Nov 25, 2009
- All about the 'birth' of Lady Gaga - Mar 04, 2011
- Lady Gaga is still daddy's girl, reveals new book - Mar 05, 2011
- Andy Warhol predicted Lady Gaga's style: Yoko Ono - Nov 03, 2010
- Lady Gaga loves attention - Dec 05, 2011
- Cheryl Cole says that she admires Lady Gaga - Dec 08, 2011
- Only Versace for me, says Gaga - Jun 10, 2011
- People are trying to destroy me: Lady Gaga - Apr 26, 2011
- Lady Gaga a reincarnation of her aunt? - Dec 24, 2011
- Joss Stone wants Gaga to tone down her style - Aug 21, 2011
- I'm married to loneliness: Gaga - Aug 24, 2011
- Lady Gaga wants non-glamorous life - Feb 22, 2011
- Elton John turns interviewer to Gaga - May 14, 2011
- JLO finds Gaga inspiring - Jun 17, 2011
- Lady Gaga wells up backstage, says feels like a loser - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,