Meet on media’s role in promoting human rightsApril 28th, 2011 - 4:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 28 (IANS) A two-day conference on the role of media in promoting human rights got underway in the capital Thursday, with participation of media organisations from various countries.
Organised by the Press Council of India (PCI), the conference was inaugurated by External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna and Minister for Information and Broadcasting Ambika Soni. The conference is titled ‘Freedom of Expression and Human Rights’.
Participants included media organisations from Australia, Austria, Turkey, Israel, Nepal, Bangladesh and Indonesia, among others.
“The international concern on the role of the media in promoting universal human rights prompted us to organise this colloquium,” PCI secretary Vibha Bhargava said.
“The deliberations among various media persons of different organisations will lay emphasis on the freedom of expression vis-a-vis rights of the civil society, media as a defender of human rights, reporting of human right excesses and promoting peace journalism,” she added.
“Further, this platform will be an opportunity for the media to adjudge its promotion of universal respect for and observance of human rights and fundamental freedoms, and also the exchange views of the press scenario in different parts of the world,” Bhargava added.
- Meet on media's role in promoting human rights (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- States warned against infringing on press freedom - Feb 03, 2012
- 'Media should hold a mirror to itself' - Nov 06, 2011
- Visva-Bharati row: NCPCR objects to disclosure of child's identity - Jul 14, 2012
- 'Free press more important than free government' - Dec 28, 2010
- Panel suggests national media policy, regulation of media education - Jul 26, 2012
- 'Media should be trained, sensitised in HIV reporting' - Dec 02, 2010
- 14,000 vacancies in Prasar Bharati: Soni - Jun 27, 2012
- Governments urged to ensure journalists' security - Jul 06, 2012
- 'Bacterial rope, DNA chips to shape Indian biotech scene' - Sep 04, 2012
- Civil society demands universal pension for elderly - May 04, 2012
- Panel soon on mushrooming of media schools, says Soni - Mar 10, 2012
- Intra-Kashmir women meet from Sep 27 - Sep 24, 2011
- Give self-regulation some time: Soni tells media (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- 'Agni-IV better than Pakistan's missile, among world's best' - Nov 16, 2011
Tags: ambika, bhargava, colloquium, deliberations, excesses, exchange views, external affairs minister, freedom of expression, fundamental freedoms, international concern, krishna, media persons, peace journalism, press council of india, promoting peace, role of media, role of the media, universal human rights, universal respect, vibha