Meera Jasmine makes comeback to Kannada filmsMay 21st, 2009 - 2:55 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, May 21 (IANS) National award winning actress Meera Jasmine is making a comeback to Kannada films after a gap of four years with the feel-good sentimental drama “Devaru Kotta Thangi”. She will play the lead actor’s sister and director Sai Prakash says she fits the role perfectly.
“Actress Radhika had played the sister’s role my films ‘Tavarige Baa Thangi’ and ‘Anna Thangi’. But recently she wasn’t accessible and has announced that she has quit movies. I was looking for another suitable artiste for the role.
“And when the script was finished, I couldn’t think of casting any other actress other than Meera Jasmine. She completely fits into the hero’s sisters character. And I didn’t mind waiting to get her dates,” said Sai Prakash.
Meera Jamsine had earlier played female leads in Kannada movies like “Maurya” and “Arrasu” and in both the films she had teamed up with leading Kannada actor Puneet Raj Kumar.
Sai Prakash says Meera accepted the offer without reading the script.
“Meera Jasmine had acted in ‘Gorintaaku’, a Telugu remake of ‘Anna Thangi’, which was hugely successful. When she came to know that I had directed ‘Anna Thangi’, she accepted the offer without hearing the story. But I went to Hyderabad to narrate the story and her part. She was immensely pleased with the script. She could not make it to the launch because she was busy shooting for a Telugu film,” said Sai Prakash.
The title of the film is inspired by late Kannada movie icon Raj Kumar’s film of the same name, which was released 33 years ago. In Sai Prakash’s film Raj Kumar’s son Shivaraj Kumar is playing the male lead.
But the director clarifies that other than the title, there are no similarities between the old classic and his film.
Sai Prakash had earlier teamed up with Shivaraj Kumar in hits like “Thavarige Baa Thangi” and “Anna Thangi”.
Actor Shivaraj Kumar says he is a big fan of Meera Jasmine who has portrayed a variety of roles in in last six-seven years.
“I liked her very much in our own film ‘Arrasu’ where she played a naughty, spirited girl. She is a perfect choice for the sister’s character in the film. I’m sure she would give her hundred percent to the film,” he said.
While Meera Jasmine will play Shivaraj Kumar’s sister, Malayalam actress Monica will be seen as his love interest in “Devaru Kotta Thangi”, which went on floors last week.
Monica has worked as a child artiste in over 20 films which includes Nagabharana directed “Vimochane”. She also featured in Tamil films like “Azhagi” and “Silandi”.
“‘Devaru Kotta Thangi’ is a sentimental family drama and doesn’t have a tragic end like some of my earlier sentimental yarns,” said Sai Prakash.
The director is turning producer with the film and says he will be financed by IDBI bank.
- Kannada director attempts suicide - Feb 14, 2010
- Thursday release for Devaru Kotta Thangi - Nov 11, 2009
- Meera Jasmine carves a niche in Kannada, Telugu films - Sep 07, 2008
- Dr. Rajashekar's 'Ghorintaku' becomes 'Marudhani' - Sep 28, 2009
- Meera Jasmine's next - Jun 05, 2009
- Sada on Mylari and more - Apr 03, 2010
- Thanks to weak script, 'Anna Bond' boring (Kannada Movie Review) - May 04, 2012
- Namitha discusses Hoo - Jan 07, 2010
- 'Sankranthi' - old wine in boring bottle (Kannada Movie Review) - Mar 03, 2012
- Meera Jasmine plays a Kannada courtesan - Oct 13, 2008
- Devaru Kotta Thangi music launch - Oct 16, 2009
- Kannada star Shivaraj Kumar essays 11 roles of legendary dad - Mar 01, 2010
- 'Shiva' - an ordinary affair (Kannada Movie Review) - Aug 25, 2012
- Shivarak Kumar is USP of 'Cheluveye Ninne Nodalu' (Kannada Film Review) - Aug 07, 2010
- Arvind Kaushik creates history, shoots film in two hours - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: 33 years, actress meera jasmine, actress radhika, arrasu, baa, film of the same name, films, gap, hero, kannada movies, launch, maurya, meera jasmine, prakash, raj kumar, reading the script, sentimental drama, telugu film