MDA Telethon Sees Jerry Lewis Getting More PopularSeptember 7th, 2009 - 9:13 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
It is the 37th year that KBTX Media which is proudly presenting its annual Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon today. The show raises charity funds for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. It is commendable that the L.A. entertainer is devoting his talent for a noble cause as the money raised is used to support reseach work on the crippling malaise.
Even WREX will telecast the popular show(MDA Telethon) from 9:00am to 6:00pm on Channel 13.
Jerry Lewis, of Las Vegas, the unmatched and highest paid artist in the entertainment business, enacted Michael Jackson’s impression of “The Girl is Mine”, on September 6th night which was certainly entertaining for the audience. He is the 2007 winner of “America’s Got Talent” also exhibited a polished talent in singing “Brick House” with Commodores.Local T.V.Station WOLO-25 has been broadcasting 39 of Lewis’ Labor Day telethons. Dave Aiken, the WOLO Station manager, has shared the pride in hosting the local segment annually for several years.
The telethon was telecast in Atlanta on channel 69 on Sunday night and will continue to do so until Monday evening. The CBS 6 has also faithfully shown the telethon for 38 years !
Every year, the entertainer Jerry lives up to his commitment and tries desperately to get one extra dollar than raised in the earlier years. In 1999, the “one dollar more” recorded the Labor Day Telethon’s at a historical $1.1 billion reportedly. In 2008, the entertainer’s popularity just seemed to get better getting him to raise a huge $65 million, which broke all his previous records.
MDA National Goodwill Ambassador Paul Carter Hawkins has nicknamed Jerry Lewis as “our million dollar baby”.
- 45th Jerry Lewis Telethon Kicks Off In Las Vegas - Sep 06, 2010
- Travolta's wife 'not in labour', says rep - Nov 16, 2010
- Jerry Lewis to receive humanitarian award at Oscars - Dec 12, 2008
- Sanjay Dutt, Sachin Tendulkar come together for cause - Sep 15, 2011
- Coca-Cola-NDTV telethon raises Rs.7 crore for school infra - Sep 19, 2011
- Celebrities Make 'Stand Up To Cancer' Telethon A Grand Success - Sep 11, 2010
- Jerry O'Connell to play Herman Munster in TV reboot - Jun 06, 2012
- $8.9 mn raised for famine victims in Horn of Africa - Aug 20, 2011
- I love Heidi Klum's business mind, says Jennifer Hawkins - Apr 28, 2011
- Nariman's 'Before Memory Fades' is bestseller again (IANS Books) - Jul 15, 2010
- President Patil to address nation on eve of Republic Day tomorrow - Jan 24, 2011
- Hollywood stars to organise telethon for oil spill victims - Jun 20, 2010
- Colors snaps up rights to Screen Awards - Dec 13, 2011
- China to limit TV entertainment shows - Oct 25, 2011
- No licence to any Indian channel: Pakistani minister - Aug 02, 2011
Tags: 1 billion, america s got talent, brick house, channel 13, channel 69, charity funds, entertainment business, goodwill ambassador, jerry lewis, jerry lewis mda telethon, kar, labor day, labor day telethon, malaise, michael jackson, million dollar baby, muscular dystrophy association, paul carter, previous records, telethons