Mayor calls for review on proposed theatre tax hikeJuly 3rd, 2009 - 10:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 3 (IANS) Delhi Mayor Kanwar Sain Friday said the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) would review a proposal to increase tax on capital’s cinema halls.
There are around 50 single screen cinema theatres in the national capital territory under the MCD’s jurisdiction. At present the theatre show tax levied by the MCD amounts to Rs.7 per person per show.
However, five years ago, the MCD had sent a proposal to the Delhi government to increase this amount to Rs.10 per person per show with a maximum of Rs.1,000 per show.
“The Municipal Corporation of Delhi will review the policy of increasing theatre show tax. The proposal sent to the Delhi government about five years back seeks amendment of the fourth schedule of Delhi Municipal Corporation Act, 1957,” Sain said.
“The matter needs to be reviewed in the present circumstances because the cinema industry is badly hit by cable TV, satellite TV and piracy. The occupancy in theatres has dropped considerably and they are merely surviving on advertisement revenues and canteen sales.”
He added that theatres are already paying entertainment, advertisement and property taxes to the MCD and the Delhi government.
- MCD to relocate offices by April end - Apr 05, 2010
- MCD trifurcation: Delhi mayor meets Chidambaram - Nov 19, 2011
- MCD's new tax schemes won't be implemented: Mayor - Dec 10, 2009
- Home ministry nod for MCD's trifurcation - Nov 23, 2011
- Rs.200 fine for spitting, urinating on Delhi roads - Jan 29, 2010
- 'Dirty Kumars' to give sanitation lessons in Delhi - Dec 01, 2009
- Sibal attacks 'multi-level corruption' in BJP-led MCD - Apr 13, 2012
- MCD proposes five percent hike in property tax - Dec 08, 2010
- New primary school opens in east Delhi - Apr 06, 2010
- Delhi government will release Rs.1,831 crore for MCD - Apr 21, 2012
- Parking rates in Delhi to rise - May 09, 2012
- MCD to collect service tax from discoms - Nov 19, 2010
- For MCD officials, trifurcation costly, tiresome - Apr 20, 2012
- Tenure 'too short', says outgoing Delhi mayor - Apr 29, 2010
- Splitting MCD a political move, says Delhi mayor - May 30, 2011
Tags: cable tv, canteen, cinema halls, cinema industry, cinema theatres, corporation act, delhi government, jurisdiction, kanwar, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, national capital territory, New Delhi, piracy, property taxes, rs 1, satellite tv, screen cinema, tax hike, tv satellite