Mayer’s ‘racially charged’ comments disgust Robinson PeeteFebruary 14th, 2010 - 1:23 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 14 (IANS) Actress Holly Robinson Peete has been left “disgusted and offended” after reading John Mayer’s “racially charged” comments in an interview with Playboy magazine.
The rocker has been mired in controversy following publication of the interview, in which he used the ‘N’ word when talking about his African-American fanbase, and revealed lurid details about his relationship with ex-girlfriend Jessica Simpson.
Contactmusic.com reports that Mayer also used the interview to single out Robinson Peete for praise, calling her “gorgeous”, and the TV star was initially flattered when she found out about the musician’s crush. She told E! Online: “I’m levitating. John Mayer thinks I’m hot.”
But she has since read the full article and is fuming about Mayer’s “racially charged” comments.
“(Mayer’s comments about me) went from a compliment to being an insult. I foolishly and impulsively commented on a sound bite from the interview and I didn’t know the context at all. I was disgusted and offended. It was beyond inappropriate. I went from flattered to flat-out p**sed,” she told people.com.
“This guy has some major issues to sort through and a whole lot of apologies to make. I heard some apologies about the N-word, and I’ve seen him crying, which seemed sincere. But I don’t know if he understands how much he hurt black women’s feelings,” she added.
Robinson Peete also revealed the rocker has now reached out to her to explain his behaviour but she is not accepting his apology.
“He was very remorseful about the fact that I was inadvertently tangled up into this mess. He reached out to me via email. At this point, it doesn’t feel right for me to totally accept his apology. It’s time for him to really just drop the frat boy act and take responsibility for everything that he said, no matter how painful it’s going to be for him,” she said.
- Edited "n-word" in 'Huckleberry Finn' stirs heated debate - Jan 06, 2011
- Kindergarten Teacher Wants Apology For Tiger Woods Falsehoods - Apr 03, 2010
- Love Hewitt apologises to Adam Levine - Apr 09, 2012
- Senior Conservative party councillor Gerry Forsbrey forced to apologise after using the 'N-word' - Jun 08, 2012
- Dr. Laura Expresses Remorse For Stating N-word On The Air - Aug 13, 2010
- Talk Radio Host Dr. Laura Schlessinger Expresses Apology For N-Word Rant - Aug 13, 2010
- Jessica Simpson responds in guarded tones to John Mayer's outburst - Feb 15, 2010
- Kelly Osbourne rushed to hospital with head injury - Nov 07, 2011
- Jessica Simpson "still cares" for John Mayer - Mar 12, 2010
- Whoopi Goldberg apologizes to New York Times - Feb 17, 2011
- Dr. Laura Schlessinger To End Radio Career Over N-Word Controversy - Aug 19, 2010
- Woods' kindergarten teacher says he made up childhood racial attack story - Apr 03, 2010
- Jessica talks about ex-boyfriend John Mayer on Oprah's show - Mar 04, 2010
- Yahoo fires journalist after Romney joke - Aug 31, 2012
- Courtney Love slams John Mayer for opening up about sex life - Feb 25, 2010
Tags: apologies, apology, black women, contactmusic, disgust, fanbase, feb 14, frat boy, girlfriend jessica, holly robinson, holly robinson peete, jessica simpson, john mayer, london feb, lurid details, n word, playboy magazine, reading john, sound bite, tv star