Maybe it was love at first sight with Amitabh: Jaya BachchanJanuary 8th, 2009 - 11:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 8 (IANS) It might have been love at first sight with Amitabh, said veteran actress Jaya Bachchan when asked if she fell in love with the megastar instantly.In conversation with fashion designer duo Abu Jani and Sandeep Khosla on their TV chat show “The First Ladies with Abu Sandeep”, to be aired on NDTV Good Times, Jaya said “Maybe” when asked whether love happened instantly.
Recounting her first meeting with Big B, the 60-year-old actress said: “I first saw Amitji in an institute. I saw him, I liked him and I told my friends that you know he has got a personality. And they said what…he looks like a stick!”
“He was very thin and his face was full of his eyes. I remember I fought with my friends and said he is different.”
Jaya, who has been married to the actor for 35 years now, also narrated how the two had to tie the nuptial knot under hurried circumstances.
“We all, a group of friends, had decided that if ‘Zanjeer’ did well, we’ll all go for a holiday to London. And it did well. But Amitji’s parents objected and said that you can’t go for a holiday with a girl without being married to her.”
“Of course, he had told his parents that this is the girl that he wanted to marry. So, he said what’s the big deal, we’ll get married. We just decided. I was shooting in Calcutta and he called me and said that this is what happened. I said it’s okay with me. But you will have to ask my parents. He said okay I’ll call them and call you back. He spoke to my parents and my parents were like ‘ahem hmm mm ok’,” she said.
The actress, who starred in films “Chupke Chupke”, “Guddi”, “Bawarchi”, “Silsila”, “Abhimaan”, “Mili”, “Khamoshi”, “Kabhie Khushi Kabhie Gham”, “Fiza” and “Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna” apart from several other hits, says a lot changed when she had to shift in with her in-laws after her marriage.
“There is a difference between a daughter and a daughter-in-law. I don’t know why but you feel you don’t need to respect your parents. You take your parents for granted. With your in-laws, you can’t do that and later on things change. Today, I feel more of a Bachchan than a Bhaduri (her maiden name),” she said.
In the celebrity question round of the show, Maharani Padmini Devi of Jaipur asked Jaya about which role does she like the most - daughter, actress, wife, mother or grand mother?
To this, the actress, who is also a prominent member of Parliament promptly replied: “Grandmother! It’s of course grandmother. No responsibility.”
The entire episode of “The First Ladies with Abu Sandeep” would be on air at 10 p.m. on Saturday.
- Amitabh-Jaya ring in 37th wedding anniversary - Jun 03, 2010
- Bollywood wishes Jaya on turning 63, Big B thanks them - Apr 09, 2011
- 16-year-old refuses to accept her child marriage - Apr 23, 2012
- 'The 3 Mistakes of my Life' movie gets Gujarati title (Movie Snippets) - Apr 09, 2012
- Jaya and I will work together in films again: Amitabh - Apr 29, 2011
- CRPF trooper's wife found dead, dowry case filed - May 25, 2012
- Dharamji's honour was long due: Hema Malini - Jan 25, 2012
- Abhishek to take day off on mom's birthday - Apr 08, 2010
- At 75, she wants her dowry back - Jun 03, 2011
- Many big heroes refused to work with me: Mumtaz (Interview Part 2) - Jul 31, 2012
- Abu-Sandeep celebrate silver jubilee in fashion industry (With image) - Aug 04, 2011
- Marital status no bar in modelling world - Jul 24, 2012
- On the rise: Divorces under 25 - Dec 29, 2011
- Police rescue locked up NRI woman - Oct 16, 2011
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan gives birth to a baby girl - Nov 16, 2011