‘Mausam’ gets average reviews, but earns Rs.22 crore on weekendSeptember 27th, 2011 - 5:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 27 (IANS) Shahid Kapoor and Sonam Kapoor starrer “Mausam”, a hardcore romantic drama received mixed reviews, but it had a good start - the film has earned Rs.22 crore in the opening weekend.
Pankaj Kapoor’s directorial debut, the film tracks the story of a couple forced to stay apart by socio-political situations and how after 10 years of separation they reunite and live happily after.
Made at a budget of Rs. 35 crore, “Mausam” was released across 1,900 screens and earned Rs.22 crore over three days - Friday, Saturday and Sunday. People liked Shahid’s performance and the story, but they found the film lengthy.
“The weekend has been good. We had 90 percent occupancy although it dropped on Monday. People are liking the content but the duration of the film is very long which acts as a deterrent,” Puneet Sahay, senior manager for programming and operations at Spice Cinemas told IANS.
Some film critics have praised it, others have found the film an average one. Despite the average reviews, the film has got a decent response, says Munish Sharma of Satyam Cinemas.
“Although ‘Mausam’ hasn’t got a bumper start, the response to the film has been decent. The average reviews don’t seem to have affected it as the response at the box-office has been good. Both Shahid and Sonam’s acting is being appreciated,” said Sharma.
Yogesh Raizada, corporate head (Cinemas) of Wave Cinemas, feels that the film lacks flow.
“The film goes criss-cross. It lacks flow. Moreover its 2.45 hour duration makes it a tough watch although both Shahid and Sonam have played their parts nicely. The film has received a decent response in the NCR as both the actors have a good fan following, it failed to impress people in Uttar Pradesh,” said Raizada.
- 'Mere Brother Ki...' earns Rs.25.6 crore over weekend - Sep 13, 2011
- 'Don 2' rings in over Rs.48 crore on opening weekend - Dec 26, 2011
- 'Ladies vs...' average, earns Rs.16.54 cr in opening weekend - Dec 12, 2011
- Movie goers' thumbs up to 'Titanic 3D', earns Rs.6.1 crore - Apr 09, 2012
- 'Zindagi Na..' breaks even, makes Rs.59 crore - Jul 18, 2011
- 'Mausam' earns Rs.9 crore on opening day - Sep 23, 2011
- Record opening day collection for 'Bodyguard' - Sep 01, 2011
- After good reviews, '7 Khoon Maaf' earns Rs.28 crore - Feb 22, 2011
- Shahid shines again with 'Badmaash Company' - May 11, 2010
- 'Challo Dilli' scores over 'Shor in..', 'I AM' - May 04, 2011
- Audiences fall head over heels for 'I Hate Luv...' - Jul 05, 2010
- 'Mausam' - a tale of timeless love (IANS Preview) - Sep 19, 2011
- Sonam Kapoor game for item numbers - Oct 04, 2011
- Salman impresses again, 'Ready' grosses Rs.41 crore - Jun 07, 2011
- Horror scores over romance at box office - May 11, 2011
Tags: 10 years, box office, criss cross, crore, decent response, directorial debut, duration, film critics, hasn, ncr, New Delhi, pankaj kapoor, political situations, romantic drama, saturday and sunday, screens, shahid kapoor, sonam kapoor, spice, sunday people