Matthew Vaughn and ‘Kick-Ass’ try to do sameAugust 11th, 2009 - 7:17 pm ICT by IBNS
Aug 11 (IBNS) Lionsgate, Paramount and Universal are in the running to buy “Kick-Ass,” the Matthew Vaughn comic-book adaptation about an everyday teen who becomes a superhero.
The movie has been financed independently by Vaughn after some studios found that the film’s violence is too graphic and some of its dialogue too profanity-laced and opted to reject it even when it was in the script stage, the news was reported by riskybusinessblog.com.
Nicolas Cage, Aaron Johnson and Chloe Moretz are the leading stars of the movie that has been directed by Vaughn, who in the past has directed hit movies like “Stardust” and “Layer Cake.” Vaughn also scripted the film with writing partner Jane Goldman.
The Comic-Con event has gained a warm response from fans all over the work and it has prompted some of the leading companies to reconsider their move again. Buyer screenings followed the week after Comic-Con, and several studios began circling the pic.
Studios interested in “Kick-Ass” may end up paying a solid seven figure piece and with a significant P&A commitment, as a way to plug a franchise-level property into their slate with comparatively little financial risk or production headaches.
The “Kick-Ass” is based on a comic book written by Mark Millar and John Romita Jr. The story revolves around a high-school dweeb (Johnson) who attempts to reinvent himself as a real-world costumed superhero despite not being athletic or coordinated — and who then runs into real villains with real weapons.
- Lionsgate grabs Kick-Ass - Aug 18, 2009
- Matthew Vaughn To Direct 'X-Men: First Class' - May 06, 2010
- Drew Barrymore to direct music video - Jun 22, 2011
- Jennifer Lawrence terrified of crazy fans - Mar 16, 2012
- Aaron Johnson Blasts Kick-Ass critics - Sep 13, 2010
- Orlando Bloom And Amanda Seyfried Out Of ‘Albert Nobbs’ - Dec 07, 2010
- Meet Phoenix Jones, the masked vigilante protecting streets of US town - Jan 07, 2011
- Arnold missed action during political stint - Jul 15, 2012
- Matthew Vaughn to direct X-Men: First Class - May 05, 2010
- Law, Kingsley and Winstone team up for new Martin Scorsese film - Jun 30, 2010
- Warren Beatty makes comeback after 13 years - Jun 23, 2011
- James Bond is the Ultimate Icon for Brit men - Aug 07, 2010
- Eva Longoria Parker To Play The Wasp In "The Avengers"? - Jul 28, 2010
- Matthew Vaughn to direct the next X-Men movie? - May 06, 2010
- Peter Jackson in talks over third 'Hobbit' film - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: aaron johnson, chloe moretz, comic book adaptation, dweeb, financial risk, ibns, jane goldman, john romita jr, kick ass, layer cake vaughn, leading companies, lionsgate, mark millar, matthew vaughn, nicolas cage, profanity, script stage, stardust, villains, warm response