Matt Damon turned down Star Trek roleApril 21st, 2009 - 6:26 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 21 (ANI): Hollywood actor Matt Damon turned down the role of Captain Kirk in Star Trek, director J.J. Abrams has revealed.
Abrams revealed that Matt was his first choice for the starring role of Kirk - but he is glad to have been given the chance to subsequently hire little known actor Chris Pine.
“I actually approached Matt and we had some discussions, but everything happens for a reason. On the one hand, it would have been great to work with Matt - but at the end of the day, it was such a better move to cast the movie with unknowns,” The Daily Star quoted J.J., as telling Life magazine.
And Abrams is convinced that casting less known actors will help make the characters more believable.
“It is fun to discover the stars of tomorrow, but even more so, just like with the first Star Wars, you didn’t know who those people were when you saw the movie. You believed that guy was Luke Skywalker. You didn’t recognise him from six other movies. You bought into who this guy was. It is a slippery slope when you cast any actor that is somewhat known. We weren’t beholden to any fame meter,” J.J. added.
Star Trek is due for release next month (May09). (ANI)
- 'Star Trek' sequel gets title? - Sep 11, 2012
- William Shatner not reprising 'Star Trek' role - Sep 24, 2010
- William Shatner slams reports of feud with new 'Star Trek' cast - Apr 27, 2009
- Affleck supports politician's campaign - May 24, 2012
- Patrick Stewart delighted with new Star Trek - Jun 15, 2009
- Abrams set to discuss Start Trek sequel with Shatner over lunch - Oct 21, 2009
- Damon wanted Affeck's 'Argo' role - Oct 16, 2011
- Eric Bana had 'fun' playing baddie in new 'Star Trek' movie - Apr 27, 2009
- Star Trek director denies Captain Kirk return - May 01, 2009
- William Shatner may do a cameo in next 'Star Trek' instalment - Apr 01, 2009
- 'Super 8' superb film (IANS Movie - Rating: ****) - Oct 14, 2011
- Zoe Saldana to join cast of 'Infinitely Polar Bear' - Jun 18, 2011
- Former Yankees baseball player desperate to block wife-swap film - Feb 24, 2011
- Oscar 2010: The 82nd Annual Academy Award Winners - Mar 08, 2010
- William Shatner to turn 'Raw Nerve' interviewer - May 25, 2009
Tags: actor matt damon, actors, captain kirk, chris pine, daily star, everything happens for a reason, fame, first choice, first star, hollywood, hollywood actor, j j abrams, known actor, luke skywalker, matt damon, slippery slope, star trek, star trek role, star wars, stars of tomorrow