Marzieh Vafamehr sentenced over acting in a filmOctober 10th, 2011 - 10:04 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Tehran, Oct 10 (THAINDIAN NEWS) An Iranian woman who starred in an Australian movie has been handed a year’s jail sentence and 90 lashes for the act. Report says an Iranian court found Marzieh Vafamehr guilty of violating Islamic laws.
The movie, “My Tehran for Sale,” was filmed in 2009 at a location in Tehran, Iran. The post-production was then made in Australia. Shortly after the movie was released, Vafamehr was arrested by the country’s leaders for violating Islamic laws. Her family asked the international media to give the case a blackout and they sought ways to get her freed.
On Sunday the opposition website Kalameh.com published the details of the plight of Vafamehr for the first time. The producers of the movie says they are aware of the situation that Vafamehr finds herself but they are giving other forms of help because of the family’s request for international media blackout.
Kate Croser, who was a producer of the set revealed that, “There is an appeal which could be lengthy and the family may still believe that public comment will be unhelpful because they are going through all the official channels,”
Public lashing is one of the forms of punishments authorized by the Muslim religion.
- Iranian actress not to receive lashes - Oct 29, 2011
- Pakistan frees detained Iranian guards - Jan 16, 2012
- US condemns death sentence of Iran pastor - Feb 24, 2012
- Iranians protest anti-Islam movie - Sep 13, 2012
- Iran marks 33rd anniversary of Islamic Revolution - Feb 12, 2012
- Iranian president's media adviser jailed - Nov 21, 2011
- Iranian authorities say that widow won't be stoned - Jul 09, 2010
- Iran releases students held in British embassy attack - Dec 01, 2011
- Iran To Arrest Tan Women To Uphold The Islamic Dress Policy - May 01, 2010
- Online Islamic law encyclopaedia 'Wiqifiqh' launched - Jan 28, 2011
- Iran's Ayatollah Montazeri buried in Qom amid protests - Dec 22, 2009
- Iranian Authorities To Arrest Suntanned Women - May 01, 2010
- Iran warns of oil price hike - Sep 03, 2012
- Iran summons Swiss envoy over US drone incident - Dec 09, 2011
- Iranian candy thief to lose his hand as a punishment - Oct 19, 2010
Tags: 90 lashes, act report, australia, croser, iranian court, iranian woman, islamic laws, jail sentence, lashing, media blackout, muslim religion, opposition, plight, producers, public comment, punishments, tehran iran