Martin Luther King Jr. biopic in the pipelineMay 19th, 2009 - 12:33 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 19 (ANI): Life rights to Martin Luther King Jr. have been acquired by DreamWorks and the film studio is bringing a biopic on the slain civil rights leader to the big screen.
The movie based on King, who was assassinated in 1968 in Memphis at the age of 39, will be produced by Steven Spielberg, Suzanne de Passe and Madison Jones.
King copyrighted his speeches, books and famous works during his lifetime.
The DreamWorks project marks the first film to be authorized by King’s estate and gives the producers the right to utilize King’s intellectual property to create the definitive portrait of his life.
“We are all honored that the King Estate is giving us the opportunity to tell the story of these defining, historic events,” Variety quoted Spielberg, as saying.
“It is our hope that the creative power of film and the impact of Dr. King’s life can combine to present a story of undeniable power that we can all be proud of,” he added. (ANI)
- Ronald Harwood to script Martin Luther biopic for Dreamworks - Jan 20, 2010
- Spielberg to make biopic on Martin Luther King - May 20, 2009
- Exhibition chronicles Gandhi-King ties - Feb 02, 2012
- Martin Luther's statue to be unveiled alongside Lincoln, Jefferson replicas in Washington - Feb 18, 2011
- Spielberg to make biopic on racer James Hunt - Nov 15, 2010
- Daniel Day-Lewis to play Lincoln - Nov 22, 2010
- Steven Spielberg 'buys rights to WikiLeaks book' - Mar 03, 2011
- Bollywood shining with a little help from Hollywood - Aug 18, 2009
- Historic Bollywood-Hollywood pact signals India's emergence in world cinema - Aug 18, 2009
- Reliance DreamWorks films get 11 Oscar nominations - Jan 25, 2012
- Jackman plans movie on Martin Luther King - Aug 02, 2012
- Daniel Day-Lewis to play Abraham Lincoln in Spielberg film - Nov 20, 2010
- Spielberg to direct 'Robopocalypse' - Oct 24, 2010
- Anil Ambani walks Oscar red carpet, his 'The Help' gets statuette (With Images) - Feb 27, 2012
- Today is the 43rd death anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr. - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: biopic, civil rights leader, creative power, definitive portrait, dr king, dreamworks, film studio, intellectual property, lifetime, luther king jr, madison jones, martin luther king, martin luther king jr, memphis, pipeline, producers, speeches, steven spielberg, undeniable power