Martin Freeman set to play Bilbo in ‘The Hobbit’October 22nd, 2010 - 5:51 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Oct 22 (ANI): It’s official: Martin Freeman of ‘The Good Night’ fame is set to play Bilbo Baggins in ‘The Hobbit’, and director Peter Jackson believes it is a role he was born to play.
There were a lot of rumors around the top role but it has been officially announced that ‘The Office Star’ has been shortlisted for it.
“Despite the various rumors and speculation surrounding this role, there has only ever been one Bilbo Baggins for us. There are a few times in your career when you come across an actor who you know was born to play a role, but that was the case as soon as I met Martin. He is intelligent, funny, surprising and brave - exactly like Bilbo and I feel incredibly proud to be able to announce that he is our Hobbit.” Stuff.co.nz quoted Jackson as saying.
Richard Armitage, Rob Kazinsky, Aidan Turner, Graham McTavish, John Callen, Stephen Hunter, Mark Hadlow and Peter Hambleton will also join the ensemble cast.
“Set for release in December, 2012 and December, 2013, we can confirm that Martin Freeman will play Bilbo Baggins, the hero of the story. Richard Armitage is set to play Thorin Oakenshield, the leader of the Company of Dwarves which sets off to reclaim the Lonely Mountain from a thieving dragon,” he added.
The Hobbit films received a green light on October 15 and pre-production had been in full swing. (ANI)
- Martin Freeman Roped In To Play Bilbo Baggins In "The Hobbit" - Oct 22, 2010
- Richard Armitage Roped In For 'The Hobbit' - Oct 22, 2010
- Graham McTavish To Star In "The Hobbit" - Oct 23, 2010
- Brian Cox to Play a Dwarf in 'The Hobbit'? - Nov 15, 2009
- David Tennant To Star In "The Hobbit" As "Thranduil the Elvenking"? - Jan 12, 2011
- Elijah Wood to star in 'The Hobbit' - Jan 10, 2011
- It's official: Elijah Wood is starring in 'The Hobbit' - Jan 10, 2011
- Orlando Bloom to star in 'The Hobbit' - Dec 10, 2010
- Ian McKellen to reprise his role as wizard Gandalf in new Hobbit films - Jan 11, 2011
- Rob Kazinsky quits 'The Hobbit' due to personal reasons - Apr 26, 2011
- James Nesbitt to star in 'The Hobbit' - Nov 03, 2010
- Martin Freeman shuns 'Hobbit' for 'Sherlock' - Sep 07, 2010
- Tobey Maguire to star in 'The Hobbit' - Jan 22, 2010
- Images of Hobbit dwarves released - Jul 08, 2011
- Martin Freeman To Play Lead Role In 'The Hobbits'? - Sep 09, 2010
Tags: aidan turner, baggins, callen, director peter jackson, dwarves, full swing, hadlow, hambleton, hero of the story, hobbit, lonely mountain, martin freeman, mctavish, office star, peter jackson, richard armitage, rob kazinsky, speculation, stephen hunter, wellington