Marketing cannot make anyone a star, says Kay KayMarch 27th, 2012 - 4:27 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 27 (IANS) Actor Kay Kay says the current obsession of filmmakers with marketing is “very funny, but very sad also”.
“You are only interested in marketing. You are not making cinema but gathering star surnames, making a project and that we’ll think about the story and other things later,” he told reporters on the sidline of an event.
He feels filmmakers’ dependency on item numbers is unfair.
“They (filmmakers) proudly say that the item number made my film a hit. Then why did you make the film? You should have made an item number, or a music video separately. So these things are very funny, but very sad also,” he said.
Kay Kay lauds Irrfan Khan, Manoj Bajpayee and Naseeruddin Shah as true actors and says it’s sad that they are not given star status.
“In terms of percentage, out of 100 only five percent are actors, rest 95 percent are fake. Irrfan, Naseer, Manoj, if I count then you’ll say that yes, they are good actors. But if they are good actors, then why are they not counted on top. It’s a shame that Naseeruddin Shah today does not has that status that, I won’t name anyone, an XYZ has,” said Kay Kay who worked with Naseer in “Chaali Chaurasi”.
Explaining the importance of talent, he said that Sachin Tendulkar’s son cannot become Sachin unless he performs in the field.
Taking a swipe at star kids, Kay Kay said: “As you age, you realise that you should salute sportsmen because that is one area where if you do not perform, you cannot become a star. Sunil Gavaskar’s son cannot become Gavaskar, Sachin’s son cannot become Sachin, he has to score a 100 there. They cannot become a star through PR or marketing.”
“If that system is implemented in our industry, it would be great,” added the 44-year-old known for his power-packed performances in “Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi”, “Mumbai Meri Jaan” and “Bhindi Bazaar”.
Kay Kay’s forthcoming film “Life Ki Toh Lag Gayi” is set for an April 20 release. Rakesh Mehta has directed the film that also stars Pradhuman Singh, Ranvir Shorey, Manu Rishi and Neha Bhasin.
- 'Chaalis Chauraasi' tells tale of a freaky night (IANS Preview) - Jan 09, 2012
- Bhojpuri actors don't welcome change, says Ravi Kishan - Dec 28, 2011
- Shazahn Padamsee misses family X-mas dinner (Movie Snippets) - Dec 25, 2011
- Irrfan puts heart, sweat into 'Paan Singh Tomar' (Movie Snippets) - Feb 21, 2012
- Naseer feels Vidya enjoys enviable position in filmdom - Dec 29, 2011
- Naseer looking forward to 'Dedh Ishqiya' with Madhuri - May 26, 2012
- Happy to be making good item numbers: Composer Lalit - Jan 13, 2012
- Cops turn entertainers in Bollywood (Feature) - Jan 29, 2012
- Naseer in Hriday Shetty's next, happy to work with Atul, Kay Kay - May 17, 2011
- Film critic Nikhat Kazmi dies - Jan 20, 2012
- 'Chaalis Chauraasi' - a quirky comedy (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Jan 14, 2012
- Naseeruddin Shah is an institution: Bhojpuri star Ravi Kishan - Dec 28, 2011
- Get set for comedy, thrillers in 2012 - Jan 01, 2012
- Bollywood finally sets stage for theatre veterans - Apr 21, 2012
- Marketing has taken over content in Bollywood: Kay Kay Menon - May 26, 2011
Tags: bhindi, current obsession, film life, filmmakers, forthcoming film, gayi, irrfan khan, kay kay, lauds, manoj, mehta, mumbai meri jaan, naseeruddin shah, sachin tendulkar, sportsmen, star kids, star status, swipe, true actors, xyz