Mark Wahlberg planning ‘The Fighter’ sequelMarch 16th, 2011 - 12:30 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 16 (IANS) Actor Mark Wahlberg is planning to make a sequel to his film “The Fighter” after the movie garnered Academy Awards.
The actor plays real life boxing legend ‘Irish’ Micky Ward in the film, opposite Christian Bale as Ward’s half-brother Dicky Ecklund.
“The Fighter” scored a number of awards nominations and Bale went on to win the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his performance, while Melissa Leo walked away with the Best Supporting Actress prize for her role as the boxing brothers’ mum.
Wahlberg has now confirmed he’s in talks to bring “The Fighter” back on screen. The film will portray Ward’s later career in the ring, reports dailystar.co.uk.
“I got bit by the bug, and now I’m trying to plant the idea in everyone’s head that we should do - not five or six Fighters like Rocky - but one more because the big thing that Micky Ward was famous for was his three epic battles with Arturo Gatti. So we’re talking about possibly taking one more run at it…,” he told EW.com.
“Everybody had such an amazing experience making the movie that I can’t imagine they wouldn’t want to go back. But it’s still kind (of) in the early stages.”
And real life Ward and Ecklund are also backing plans for a sequel.
“They’re both thrilled by the possibility. I just keep getting the phone calls… (Mostly) from Micky, yeah. Saying, ‘Make sure you get it done’,” Wahlberg said.
- Mark Wahlberg not bitter about missing out on best actor Oscar nod - Jan 27, 2011
- Oscar-nominated 'The Fighter' to hit Indian screens Feb 25 - Feb 01, 2011
- Christian Bale wins fight for best supporting actor Oscar - Feb 28, 2011
- Christian Bale wins Golden Globe for supporting role in 'The Fighter' - Jan 17, 2011
- Review Of ‘The Fighter’: It Can Knock You Out! - Dec 11, 2010
- Finding new cuss words for 'The Fighter' was difficult: Amy Adams - Feb 09, 2011
- 'The Fighter': More than a mere boxing film (IANS Film Review, Rating: ****) - Feb 27, 2011
- Colin Firth And Natalie Portman Won The 2011 Screen Actors’ Guild Awards (SAG) - Jan 31, 2011
- Amy Adams And Christian Bale Receive Praises For "The Fighter" - Dec 13, 2010
- Christian Bale impresses moviegoers at 'The Fighter' screening - Dec 13, 2010
- Mark Wahlberg confirms that 'Fighter 2' is in the pipeline - Jun 10, 2011
- "The Fighter" A Proud Achievement In Mark Wahlberg's Life - Nov 22, 2010
- Bale stopped from doing own stunts in 'The Fighter' - Jan 19, 2011
- "The Fighter" Gets Overwhelming Box Office Reviews - Dec 11, 2010
- Danish film takes home Golden Globe in foreign language category - Jan 17, 2011
Tags: academy awards, awards nominations, best supporting actor, best supporting actor oscar, best supporting actress, christian bale, dailystar, dicky, epic battles, half brother, irish micky ward, london march, mark wahlberg, melissa leo, sequel