Marilyn Manson hits back at ‘death lyrics’ criticsJune 13th, 2009 - 12:52 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 13 (ANI): Shock rocker Marilyn Manson has lashed out at his critics, insisting he’s not responsible for the horrifying massacres at U.S. schools.
The lyrics of Mansion’s songs have been linked to outrageous bloodbaths at Columbine High School in 1999 and Virginia Tech in 2007.
Critics say that the ‘dark lyrics’ are often misinterpreted by troubled teenagers, providing the catalyst to kill.
The accusations came after Asa Coon, who shot four people during a rampage at SuccessTech Academy, Cleveland in 2007, was found to be wearing a Manson t-shirt.
However, the 40-year-old rocker insists that it is unfair to blame him for the massacres - and jokes he should receive an award for “highest death toll” in music.
“Blaming me for (Columbine) was ridiculous. It’s a lack of responsibility from everyone. If you want to blame something, well, I went to a Christian school. That’s why I write what I write. Shall we blame the Christians?” the Daily Express quoted Mansion as telling Kerrang! Magazine.
“I essentially lost everything because of Columbine but, if it happened now, it just wouldn’t have the same impact.
“There has to be that first person who takes the arrows in the back and I guess that was me.
“If there was a Grammy Award for death toll, it would be mine. I don’t think anyone has been blamed for as much violence as me,” he added. (ANI)
- No failed relationship for Rachel Wood - Nov 02, 2011
- Susan Klebold essay in Oprah Magazine - Oct 15, 2009
- Rachel Wood finds Tilda sexy - Nov 29, 2011
- I would get Grammy award for school shootings: Manson - Jan 28, 2008
- Shia Labeouf has a public meltdown - Aug 29, 2011
- Marilyn Manson Obsessed With Kenny Powers of 'Eastbound & Down' - Sep 09, 2010
- Ohio high school shooting claims third victim - Feb 29, 2012
- Sheryl Crow to pen Diner musical - Sep 21, 2011
- Texas might okay 'guns' on campus - Feb 21, 2011
- Taylor Momsen clarifies 'parents ruined childhood' comments - Jan 16, 2011
- Metallica voted most influential band - Jun 01, 2011
- Crow to write music for Broadway show - Sep 22, 2011
- Songwriter defends Britney Spears for not demanding co-writing credits - Apr 09, 2011
- Seven die in US college shooting - Apr 03, 2012
- Guatemalan sentenced to over 6,000 years in prison - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: accusations, arrows, asa, catalyst, christians, columbine high school, daily express, death toll, first person, grammy award, jokes, lyrics, marilyn manson, massacres, rampage, shock rocker, t shirt, troubled teenagers, violence, virginia tech